Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable confluence hypergeometric function

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    I'm looking for any kind of reference on a multivariable generalization of a (confluent) hypergeometric function.

In particular, Horns list is a list of 34 two-variable hypergeometric functions, 20 of which are confluent. Then one of these has the following series expansion:

[tex]\Phi_2(\beta, \beta', \gamma, x, y) = \sum_{n,m = 0}^{\infty} \frac{(\beta)_m (\beta')_n}{(\gamma)_{m+n} m! n!} x^m y^n[/tex]

Here [itex](a)_n = \Gamma[a+n]/\Gamma[a][/itex] is the Pochhammer symbol. Now, in some odd piece of my work I somehow arrived at a series expansion that looks like:

[tex]\tilde{\Phi}(\beta_1, \ldots, \beta_N, \gamma, x_1, \ldots ,x_N) = \sum_{n_1,\ldots,n_N} \frac{(\beta_1)_{n_1} \cdots (\beta_N)_{n_N} }{(\gamma)_{n_1 + \cdots + n_N} n_1!\cdots n_N!} x_1^{n_1}\cdots x_N^{n_N} [/tex]

which is like a multivariable expansion of the [itex]\Phi_2[/itex] function. I was wondering if anyone knows of a paper where this function is defined / mentioned? I'd like to use it as a citation.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted