Convergence of a hypergeometric

In summary, convergence of a hypergeometric refers to the property of a series to approach a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. It can be determined using the ratio test and has conditions such as a finite number of terms. This property is significant in mathematics and has applications in probability and statistics. However, there are special cases where a hypergeometric series can diverge, such as when the ratio between terms is greater than 1 or when terms alternate in sign and do not approach 0.
CAF123
Gold Member
The hypergeometric function, ##{}_{2}F_1(a,b,c;z)## can be written in terms of a power series in ##z## as follows, $${}_{2}F_1(a,b,c;z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(a)_n (b)_n}{(c)_n} \frac{z^n}{n!}\,\,\,\,\,\text{provided}\,\,\,\,|z|<1$$

So we may reexpress any hypergeometric function as a power series like this as long as the last argument modulus is less than 1.

My question is, I also have an expansion of a hypergeometric of the form ##{}_2 F_1(\alpha,\beta+\epsilon, \gamma- \epsilon, z)##, where ##\alpha, \beta, \gamma## are real numbers, by using the HypExp package on Mathematica (expansion in ##\epsilon##) and was wondering if I use this expansion do I also require ##|z|<1##? When I write the code in Mathematica, the last argument is replaced by simply ##x## say and Mathematica gives me an expansion regardless of the size of ##x## so I am thinking ##{\it this}## expansion (and not the power series one) is maybe valid independent of ##|x|## but would be nice to confirm.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:
The hypergeometric function, ##{}_{2}F_1(a,b,c;z)## can be written in terms of a power series in ##z## as follows, $${}_{2}F_1(a,b,c;z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(a)_n (b)_n}{(c)_n} \frac{z^n}{n!}\,\,\,\,\,\text{provided}\,\,\,\,|z|<1$$

This specific form of the hypergeometric function is valid for ##|z|<1##. The hypergeometric function can be extended beyond ##|z|<1## by analytic continuation. So this analytic continuation is likely what mathematica is calculating.

1. What is the definition of convergence of a hypergeometric?

Convergence of a hypergeometric refers to the property of a hypergeometric series to approach a finite limit as the number of terms in the series approaches infinity.

2. How is convergence of a hypergeometric series determined?

The convergence of a hypergeometric series can be determined by using the ratio test, which compares the absolute value of each term in the series to the absolute value of the next term.

3. What are the conditions for convergence of a hypergeometric series?

The conditions for convergence of a hypergeometric series are that the ratio between consecutive terms must approach a finite limit, and the series must have a finite number of terms.

4. What is the significance of convergence of a hypergeometric series?

The convergence of a hypergeometric series is important in mathematics as it allows for the evaluation of the sum of the series and is used in various applications, such as in probability and statistics.

5. Are there any special cases where a hypergeometric series diverges?

Yes, there are certain values of the parameters in a hypergeometric series that can cause the series to diverge, such as when the ratio between consecutive terms is greater than 1 or when the terms alternate in sign and do not approach 0.