Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable function question

1. May 31, 2007 #1
    hey,

hope this is the right spot for this...

im curious to know what Domain and Range refer to in a multvariable function. I understand what it means in a single variable (x is usually domain, y is usually range), but when it gets to Multivariable, it doesnt make sense to me. Domain seems to be the same, but what does Range refer to?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Even in a single variable function, x is not the domain and y is not the range. A function, in the most general sense, is an ordered triplet of sets (A, B, f) that we denote by f:A-->B, where f is some subset of A x B such that [itex]\forall a \in A, \exists !b\in B \ \mbox{such that} \ (a,b)\in f[/itex]. A is called the domain and B the codomain of the function. The range of the function is the subset of B denoted by f(A) and defined by [itex]f(A)=\{b\in B:\exists a\in A \ \mbox{with} \ (a,b)\in f\}[/itex].

This definition however is not very easy to understand. It is easier to think of f not as a set but as a "rule" that associates to every a in A an unique b in B. If (a,b) is in f, we write f(a)=b. A is the domain, B is the codomain and the range f(A) is the set of all elements b of B for which there actually is an a in A such that f(a)=b.

To give a concrete exemple in the case of a real function of several variables, consider [itex]f:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] where the "rule of association" is [itex]f(x,y)=sin(xy)[/itex]. Then R² is the domain, R is the codomain and the range is [0,1].

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  4. Jun 1, 2007 #3
    thanks!

but, um... im gonna have to do some more reseach into this becuase I didnt really understand your answer

5. Jun 1, 2007 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?