Muscle relaxant/stimulant circuit

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of building a muscle stimulant for a college project and the speaker's research into a commercial muscle stimulator. However, the speaker advised against using such devices due to potential hazards and potential liability. They suggested considering a different project that does not involve human body contact.
missfangula
Hello,

For my final project in a college introductory circuits class, I am supposed to build something that produces a "wow" factor. I am interested in building a muscle stimulant, and already found some circuit schematics online that I could use. I am now wondering if anyone has any creative suggestions for something to add to this muscle stimulant idea that would make it more "wow."

Thanks!
:-)

-miss fangula

Engineering news on Phys.org
I did some measurements on a commercial muscle stimulator.

It generated bursts of short pulses of DC with an amplitude of about 50 volts. These short pulses, delivered in a batch of 1 to 5 pulses (variable control for this) were followed by a period of no output for a second or so (also variable).

While this worked well, I declined the offer to make one, partly for patent reasons and partly because there are real hazards in applying such voltages efficiently to the human body.

It would be difficult to prove that a disability that showed up in 5 years was not related to the use of this gadget.

So, I would suggest that you consider some other project that does not involve human body contact.

What is a muscle relaxant/stimulant circuit?

A muscle relaxant/stimulant circuit is a group of neurons and synapses in the central nervous system that work together to control muscle movement and relaxation. These circuits are responsible for coordinating movements and maintaining balance and posture.

How do muscle relaxant/stimulant circuits work?

Muscle relaxant/stimulant circuits work by receiving signals from other parts of the brain and spinal cord and sending out signals to muscles to either contract or relax. This communication between neurons allows for coordinated and controlled movements.

What are some examples of muscle relaxant/stimulant circuits?

Examples of muscle relaxant/stimulant circuits include the corticospinal tract, which controls voluntary movements, and the vestibulospinal tract, which maintains balance and posture. There are also smaller circuits within the spinal cord that can control reflex movements.

What happens when there is damage to a muscle relaxant/stimulant circuit?

Damage to a muscle relaxant/stimulant circuit can lead to various motor control disorders, such as muscle weakness, tremors, and difficulty with coordination. This can be caused by conditions like stroke, spinal cord injury, or neurodegenerative diseases.

Can muscle relaxant/stimulant circuits be targeted for treatment?

Yes, muscle relaxant/stimulant circuits can be targeted for treatment in certain conditions. For example, medications that affect neurotransmitters in these circuits can be used to treat muscle spasticity in conditions like multiple sclerosis or spinal cord injury. Physical therapy can also help retrain and strengthen these circuits for improved motor function.