Music to Race To: Suggestions & Playlist Ideas

• Music
  • Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music Race
In summary, the conversation was about finding music that is good for racing at high speeds. The person who initiated the conversation had a limited selection of music and asked for suggestions. Other people in the conversation suggested songs from various genres such as rock, punk, techno, and country. The person who initiated the conversation had a specific preference for intense and fast-paced music and was open to more suggestions. They also mentioned their optimal music playlist, titled "Velocity," and expressed interest in finding similar songs.
TheStatutoryApe
Music to Race to...

I recently picked myself up a racing game that allows you to import your own playlists of music. Unfortunately I have found that I do not have a very wide selection of music that is very good for racing. I would like suggestions of music that would be good to listen to while racing at high speeds. This is the selection that I have so far (in no particular order) titled with the word that best fits the proper sense that the sound track ought to convey along with a couple songs thrown in just for fun...

Velocity...

Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien
Joe Satriani - The Extremist
Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet
Joe Satriani - Satch Boogie
Bad Religion - Supersonic
Bad Religion - Sinister Rouge
Soul Coughing - Monster Man
Soul Coughing - Super Bon Bon
Blues Traveler - Crash Burn
Beastie Boys - Sabatoge
Toy Dolls - Toccata In D-Moll
Catch-22 - Giving Up Giving In
Bloodhound Gang - Asleep at the Wheel
Darkest of the Hillside Thickets - Slave Ship
Combichrist - Today I Woke to the Rain of Blood
For Love Not Lisa - Slip Slide Melting
Me First and the Gimme Gimmies - These Are a Few of My Favourite Things
Mr. BT [feat M. Doughty] - Never Gonna Come Back Down

Science news on Phys.org

My top 8 top racing songs.

Mexican Radio, by Wall of Voodoo

LA Woman, The Doors

I Can't Drive 55, Sammy Hagar

I'm in Love With My Car, Queen.

Radar Love, Golden Earring

Immigrant Song, Led Zeppelin

Bad habit, Offspring

Click, Click, Boom - Saliva

Born to Be Wild, Steppenwolf

"Achilles Last Stand" - Led Zeppelin

"10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)" and "Jambi" - Tool

Fugue in G minor, BWV 578, "Little" & Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 - Bach

Anything by Toubab Krewe.

"Rude Mood" - Stevie Ray Vaughn

"Elmira St. Boogie" - Danny Gatton (most anything by this phenomenal man, really)

"In the Air Tonight" - Phil Collins

That's all I've got for the moment.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest these hits from the 80s...

"1-2-X-U" - Wire
"Fantastic Life" - The Fall
"Holidays in the Sun" - Sex Pistols
"The Ballad of Johnny Burma" - Mission of Burma
"Out of Step" - Minor Threat
"King of the Hill" - Minutemen
"Forget the Swan" - Dinosaur Jr.
"Tame" - Pixies

Debaser-Pixies (some more inter-thread referencing)
Lust For Life, Passanger-Iggy Pop
Say Goodbye-Hunters and Collectors
Fell In Love With a Girl-White Stripes...

Last edited:

I'm trying to visualize racing while listing to Pink Floyd. Probably would never win a race however.

To win, I think Dembadon has the right idea with a little Stevie Ray Vaughn

I agree with any of the aforemetioned that I've ever heard of, which is a small percentage. I do have to mention my favourite, which I coincidentally brought up in a different thread. "Born to Run" sends shivers down my back.
I'm also partial to "Running on Empty".
"Boys in the Bright White Sports Car" by Trooper.
And this is something that I can't believe I'm admitting. I hate cowboy **** in most of its forms, but I can justify this by the brilliant application of it in the "Ghost Rider" movie--"Ghost Riders in the Sky". The original, and most remakes, are pretty countryish, but the technopop (or whatever you call it) version in the movie is chilling.
And one of my all-time favourite songs, which most youngsters have probably never heard. It turns my crank like crazy: http://www.hardcastleandmccormick.tv/ [Broken]
Scroll down and click on the left-side window that says "original theme".

Last edited by a moderator:

pendulum - slam
sonic adventure 2 - live and learn

Last edited:

Wynter Gordon - Dirty Talk
Bastein Lavel - Restlessness
Swedish House Mafia - One (with Pharell or not, both are excellent)
Pendulum - Propane Nightmares
Pendulum - Witchcraft

hypatia said:
Bad habit, Offspring
Bad Habit is in my secondary list along with several other songs that do not exactly make it to race music status but are close or fun.Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Sorry I neglected this thread.

With full respect, while I enjoy many of these songs, they do not really fit in my estimation. A couple of the songs I picked are a bit slow but they are particular to my and my friends tastes and sensibilities ( like say an 'in joke').

Chi, you were probably closest to the mark but I already went through my older Bad Religion and decided that old school punk is just a bit too chaotic and raw, though definitely exquisite as far as intensity goes, for racing music. Besides my friends aren't quite as partial to old school punk, the refined bastards that they are.

So if you are not all turned off by my pickiness and dismissal of current suggestions I would definitely appreciate more.

As an idea of my optimal music see here...

I am not very familiar with techno though so I do not know any more like it. Of course I am also open to other genres as well as most of you can probably tell by my list so far.

The playlist title "Velocity" may be a bit too open to interpretation. "Hard" and "Fierce" are probably a bit more descriptive, particularly "Fierce" (I love that word).

Last edited by a moderator:

Run by Ghostface is all I need

1. What is the purpose of "Music to Race To"?

The purpose of "Music to Race To" is to provide suggestions and playlist ideas for individuals who are looking for music to listen to while participating in a race or other physical activity. This can help enhance their performance, motivation, and overall enjoyment of the experience.

2. How does music affect performance during a race?

Research has shown that listening to music while exercising can have a positive impact on performance. It can increase endurance, reduce perceived exertion, and improve overall mood and motivation. This can lead to improved performance and a more enjoyable race experience.

3. What type of music is best for racing?

The type of music that is best for racing may vary from person to person. However, in general, music with a higher tempo and upbeat rhythm is often preferred for physical activities. It can help keep a steady pace and provide a sense of energy and motivation. It is also important to choose music that you personally enjoy and find motivating.

4. Are there any specific songs or artists that are recommended for racing?

Again, this may vary depending on personal preference. However, songs with a tempo of 120-140 beats per minute (BPM) are often recommended for running or other physical activities. Some popular artists include Beyoncé, Eminem, and Calvin Harris. Ultimately, the best songs and artists for racing are the ones that you enjoy and find motivating.

5. Can listening to music while racing be distracting?

This can also vary from person to person. Some individuals find that music can help them focus and stay motivated during a race, while others may find it distracting. It is important to find a balance and choose music that helps you stay focused and motivated without becoming a distraction. It is also important to follow safety guidelines and be aware of your surroundings while listening to music during a race.

Back