Mutual inductance in a Conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of mutual inductance between a conductor made of steel and aluminum. It is concluded that mutual inductance is not likely to occur in this case, as the two components are not insulated and are in direct contact with each other. The speaker also expresses gratitude for any additional ideas on the topic.
derek88
Friends:

Lets say you have a conductor that is made of two components - an inner core of steel and an outer layer of aluminum (ACSR). Is there mutual inductance between the steel and the aluminum? Every example of mutual inductance I have seen requires that an insulated wire be wrapped around some core. In this case, the steel and aluminum are not insulated. Bare aluminum forms a tubular cylinder around the bare steel. They are touching.

I appreciate any ideas! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe mutual inductance occurs between two conductors that are not electrically connected, so in your case i don't think so.

1. What is mutual inductance in a conductor?

Mutual inductance is a phenomenon that occurs when two conductors, such as coils of wire, are placed close to each other and the changing magnetic field in one conductor induces a current in the other conductor. This is also known as electromagnetic induction.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated using the formula M = NΦ/ I, where M is the mutual inductance in henries (H), N is the number of turns in the coils, Φ is the magnetic flux, and I is the current in the conductor.

3. What factors affect mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is affected by the distance between the two conductors, the number of turns in the coils, and the strength of the current in the conductor. It is also affected by the permeability of the medium between the conductors.

4. How does mutual inductance affect the behavior of a circuit?

Mutual inductance can cause a change in current flow in a circuit, as the changing magnetic field in one conductor induces a current in the other conductor. This can result in voltage spikes or drops, and can also cause interference between circuits.

5. What are some practical applications of mutual inductance in a conductor?

Mutual inductance is used in various devices and systems, such as transformers, generators, and motors. It is also used in wireless power transfer, where a changing magnetic field is used to transfer energy between two devices without the need for physical contact.