Mutual Inductance (Two coils connected in parallel to source)

In summary, Jake's problem is trying to determine the inductance of the system. He is using an AC source and air core coils, which allows for only half the current to be pushed through each cable. After conducting a small scale experiment, it was found that the current draw from the source stayed constant when one coil was removed. Jake is assuming that the same factor will make the current draw from the source constant in the two cases, which corresponds to his experimental findings.
jake.davidoff
Hi,

I recently performed a stator core loop test and am now in the process of capturing the setup and results in a report.

A short explanation of the test setup and execution:

A cable is wrapped around the core and energized, which induces a magnetic flux through the core. The core consists of many thin laminations that are all grounded from the back. If there exists any shorts between the laminations, the flux through the core will induce a current though the loop that is created by the shorted laminations. This area will heat up and will be detectable by thermal instrumentation.

My problem:

I am trying to determine the inductance of our system. Due to ampacity restrictions with our cables, we connect two coils in parallel from our source. This allows for only half the current to be pushed through each cable while achieving the same magnetic flux (same volts per turn). This has been done for years in our company but no one has documented any calculations to support the method.

My initial intuition told me that if one of the two coils was removed, the current draw from the source should be half. If looking at an electric circuit with two independent inductors connected in parallel, this would be correct. However, after conducting a small scale experiment, it was found that the current draw from the source stayed constant when one coil was removed.

I am assuming this is due to mutual inductance of the coupled coils; however, I am not sure how to pursue the calculation.

Note: The volts per turn stayed constant when one of the parallel coils was removed so the magnetic flux stayed constant, as expected.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jake

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you using an AC source?

Yes, AC source

With air core coils, the AC current and flux density would approximately halve when one coil is removed. The "approximately" part--the deviation from 1/2--would be the amount due to mutual inductance. A magnetic core would behave similarly for small fields where the permeability is constant.

Since you find no change in operation between one or both coils, it is likely that you have thoroughly saturated your magnetic core with just the first coil. That is, the coil's H field is sufficient to drive the material well onto the wings of the iron's hysteresis curve where its incremental permeability is one. In this situation the core magnetization is unchanged when driven harder with the second coil. You probably don't need that second coil at all.

Thank you for your response. I have looked into the derivation of mutual inductance and now understand where the factor of approx 1/2 comes from. After doing some preliminary calculations, it seems as though that same factor will make the current draw from the source constant in the two cases, which corresponds to my experimental findings.

I also see what you are saying regarding saturation. I am assuming this only applies to the flux achieved and not the current.

Please correct me if I am incorrect in the above statements.

Thanks again

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a phenomenon that occurs when two coils are placed close to each other and are connected in parallel to a source of alternating current. It is a measure of the ability of one coil to induce a voltage in the other coil.

2. How does mutual inductance affect the behavior of the two coils?

The amount of mutual inductance between the two coils determines the strength of the magnetic coupling between them. This coupling affects the behavior of the two coils, causing them to produce induced voltages and currents that are dependent on each other.

3. What factors affect the level of mutual inductance?

The level of mutual inductance is affected by the distance between the two coils, the number of turns in each coil, the size and shape of the coils, and the material they are made of. It is also affected by the frequency and amplitude of the current flowing through the coils.

4. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance can be calculated using the formula M = k√(L1L2), where M is the mutual inductance, k is the coupling coefficient (a measure of the level of magnetic coupling between the two coils), and L1 and L2 are the inductances of the two coils.

5. What are some practical applications of mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is used in various electronic devices and systems, such as transformers and generators. It is also used in wireless power transfer systems, where power is transferred between two coils without the need for physical contact. Mutual inductance is also important in the study of electromagnetic fields and their effects on objects.