1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My math teacher gav me this question

1. Dec 20, 2007 #1
    a person goes to an outlet store and buys jeans. later in a different store he finds the same jeans for $51 which is 36% more than he paid for. how much did he pay for the jeans at teh outlet store

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let me state it more mathematically: He paid 100% of the price he paid (duh :smile:). It is given that $51 is 136% of that amount. Will that help you?

4. Dec 20, 2007 #3
    you guys are really bad at spotting someone asking for homework help

5. Dec 20, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, the fact that this is posted under "Homework and Coursework Help" is a clue!

bcdecimator, I presume that what ice109 means is that forum rules require that you first make some attempt and show what you done or tried on this before we can help you. Your teacher gave YOU this question so presumably your teacher has faith in your ability to do it! What have you tried so far?

6. Dec 21, 2007 #5
    If you have enough time and intelligence to use your computer and spend time to post this online, I can safely assume you have enough time to think for yourself.

I am sorry, don't mean to insult you.

7. Dec 21, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ahh, c'mon, admit it- you really did intend it!

bcdecimator: As Compuchip told you $51 is 156%= 1.56 of what he paid: Letting "x" be the amount he paid, 1.56x= 51. Solve for x.

8. Dec 21, 2007 #7
    what the heck $18.36 i think

9. Dec 21, 2007 #8
    sorry $32.64

10. Dec 22, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would be sort of ok, if a little inaccurate, is the figure were 56%. But you originally said 36%. I think Halls was just trying to test you. Can you fix the solution?

11. Dec 22, 2007 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, Halls just misread the thing! Solve 1.36x= 51!

12. Dec 22, 2007 #11
    Please don't waste server space for BS like this; if you have enough time and intelligence to use your computer and spend time to post this online, POST SOMETHING USEFUL.

And as Halls said, 'yes you did.'

Casey

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?