My math teacher gav me this question

• Thread starter bcdecimator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary: Hall's response:In summary, the person paid $100 for the jeans at the outlet store and $51 for the jeans at the other store. The 36% difference in price is equivalent to $18.36.
bcdecimator
a person goes to an outlet store and buys jeans. later in a different store he finds the same jeans for $51 which is 36% more than he paid for. how much did he pay for the jeans at teh outlet store

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me state it more mathematically: He paid 100% of the price he paid (duh :smile:). It is given that $51 is 136% of that amount. Will that help you?

you guys are really bad at spotting someone asking for homework help

Well, the fact that this is posted under "Homework and Coursework Help" is a clue!

bcdecimator, I presume that what ice109 means is that forum rules require that you first make some attempt and show what you done or tried on this before we can help you. Your teacher gave YOU this question so presumably your teacher has faith in your ability to do it! What have you tried so far?

If you have enough time and intelligence to use your computer and spend time to post this online, I can safely assume you have enough time to think for yourself.

I am sorry, don't mean to insult you.

Ahh, c'mon, admit it- you really did intend it!

bcdecimator: As Compuchip told you $51 is 156%= 1.56 of what he paid: Letting "x" be the amount he paid, 1.56x= 51. Solve for x.

what the heck $18.36 i think

sorry $32.64

That would be sort of ok, if a little inaccurate, is the figure were 56%. But you originally said 36%. I think Halls was just trying to test you. Can you fix the solution?

No, Halls just misread the thing! Solve 1.36x= 51!

unplebeian said:
If you have enough time and intelligence to use your computer and spend time to post this online, I can safely assume you have enough time to think for yourself.

I am sorry, don't mean to insult you.

Please don't waste server space for BS like this; if you have enough time and intelligence to use your computer and spend time to post this online, POST SOMETHING USEFUL.

And as Halls said, 'yes you did.'

Casey

What is the question my math teacher gave me?

The specific question given by your math teacher may vary, as it depends on the lesson or topic being taught. It is best to review your notes or ask your teacher for clarification if you are unsure of the question.

How can I solve this math problem?

The best approach to solving a math problem is to carefully read the question and identify the numbers and operations involved. Then, use the appropriate mathematical formulas or techniques to find the solution. If you are having trouble, ask your teacher for guidance.

Can I use a calculator to solve this math problem?

It depends on the instructions given by your teacher. Some math problems may require you to use a calculator, while others may not. It is important to follow the instructions and guidelines given by your teacher.

How can I check my answer?

There are various ways to check your answer in math, such as using a calculator or solving the problem in a different way. You can also ask your teacher to check your work or compare your answer with a classmate's.

What should I do if I don't understand the question?

If you are having trouble understanding the question, don't be afraid to ask your teacher for clarification. They are there to help you and want to see you succeed. You can also try breaking down the question into smaller parts and identifying what you do understand, then asking for help with the parts you are struggling with.