Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My new computer has bluetooth issues :(

Tags:
  1. Nov 15, 2015 #1

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have a new Dell laptop:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015SHDRRW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

It came with Windows 8.1 and I put Windows 10 on.

Problem I'm having is with the Bluetooth. The Bluetooth doesn't seem to be able to locate things such as my headphones or wireless speaker. I've looked through all the settings, can't seem to find a problem.

I know the Bluetooth is working because I can connect to the computer with my phone. But it's the phone that has to locate the computer as opposed to the other way around.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2
    Highly unlikely the cause, but is there a driver update for Windows 10, for your type of Dell laptop?

4. Nov 16, 2015 #3
    I would check out this link and download any relevant software.
    Also check it out in the device manager. Is it reportedly operating correctly? Was there a recent driver update? Try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it. Also, make sure you are doing his with administrative privileges.

5. Nov 16, 2015 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take a look at your setting in this section of your Control Panel. Maybe it got set to turn off network discovery.
    There are three sections there so it's possible that your current network connection is set to be something other than "Home or Work".

CaptureI.JPG

6. Nov 16, 2015 #5

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks guys. I tried the device updates and verified the network discovery thing... still no luck. If I go into device manager and look for Bluetooth, it shows a subcategory, " Intel (R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)" . If I right click and hit update drivers, it tells me they are up to date.

Should I uninstall from this point? This site says:
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=Fix+connections+to+Bluetooth+audio+devices+and+wireless+displays+in+Windows+10&filters=guid:"04890782-cdff-4149-a10a-bb2f0806fbf1" lang:"en-us"&form=S00028
    Note that I don't see this path - Start, Devices, Bluetooth. I only see it from the device manager screen. Not sure if that matters or not.

I'm reluctant to uninstall from device manager screen... how do you "pair again"?

7. Nov 16, 2015 #6
    Yes, it would be removed in 'Device Manager'. Restart your laptop and it should detect a bluetooth device and install the driver for it.

8. Nov 17, 2015 #7

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks guys, that got it. I had to uninstall and it's working well now. Once it was uninstalled, it came right back up after the restart.

Thanks again. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook