My new computer has bluetooth issues :(

In summary, the Bluetooth doesn't seem to be able to locate things such as my headphones or wireless speaker.
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have a new Dell laptop:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015SHDRRW/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It came with Windows 8.1 and I put Windows 10 on.

Problem I'm having is with the Bluetooth. The Bluetooth doesn't seem to be able to locate things such as my headphones or wireless speaker. I've looked through all the settings, can't seem to find a problem.

I know the Bluetooth is working because I can connect to the computer with my phone. But it's the phone that has to locate the computer as opposed to the other way around.

Any thoughts?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Highly unlikely the cause, but is there a driver update for Windows 10, for your type of Dell laptop?

Likes Q_Goest
I would check out this link and download any relevant software.
Also check it out in the device manager. Is it reportedly operating correctly? Was there a recent driver update? Try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it. Also, make sure you are doing his with administrative privileges.

Likes Q_Goest
Take a look at your setting in this section of your Control Panel. Maybe it got set to turn off network discovery.
There are three sections there so it's possible that your current network connection is set to be something other than "Home or Work".

CaptureI.JPG

Likes Q_Goest
Thanks guys. I tried the device updates and verified the network discovery thing... still no luck. If I go into device manager and look for Bluetooth, it shows a subcategory, " Intel (R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)" . If I right click and hit update drivers, it tells me they are up to date.

Should I uninstall from this point? This site says:
If Bluetooth is turned on, and the driver is up to date, but your device still doesn’t work, try removing the device and re-pairing it. Here's how: Go to Start, enter Devices, select Bluetooth, select the device, select Remove device, and then try pairing again.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=Fix+connections+to+Bluetooth+audio+devices+and+wireless+displays+in+Windows+10&filters=guid:"04890782-cdff-4149-a10a-bb2f0806fbf1" lang:"en-us"&form=S00028
Note that I don't see this path - Start, Devices, Bluetooth. I only see it from the device manager screen. Not sure if that matters or not.

I'm reluctant to uninstall from device manager screen... how do you "pair again"?

Q_Goest said:
Thanks guys. I tried the device updates and verified the network discovery thing... still no luck. If I go into device manager and look for Bluetooth, it shows a subcategory, " Intel (R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)" . If I right click and hit update drivers, it tells me they are up to date.

Should I uninstall from this point? This site says:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Fix+connections+to+Bluetooth+audio+devices+and+wireless+displays+in+Windows+10&filters=guid:"04890782-cdff-4149-a10a-bb2f0806fbf1" lang:"en-us"&form=S00028
Note that I don't see this path - Start, Devices, Bluetooth. I only see it from the device manager screen. Not sure if that matters or not.

I'm reluctant to uninstall from device manager screen... how do you "pair again"?
Yes, it would be removed in 'Device Manager'. Restart your laptop and it should detect a bluetooth device and install the driver for it.

Likes Q_Goest
Thanks guys, that got it. I had to uninstall and it's working well now. Once it was uninstalled, it came right back up after the restart.

Thanks again. :)

Likes harborsparrow

What is Bluetooth and why does my computer need it?

Bluetooth is a wireless technology that allows devices to communicate with each other without the need for wires or cables. Your computer needs Bluetooth to connect to other devices, such as a wireless keyboard or a smartphone.

What are some common Bluetooth issues with computers?

Common Bluetooth issues with computers include difficulty pairing with other devices, connection drops, and slow transfer speeds.

How can I troubleshoot my computer's Bluetooth issues?

First, make sure your computer's Bluetooth is turned on and that the device you are trying to connect to is in range. You can also try restarting your computer or resetting your Bluetooth settings. If the issue persists, updating your Bluetooth drivers or contacting technical support may help.

Do I need special software for Bluetooth to work on my computer?

Most computers come with built-in Bluetooth capabilities and do not require special software. However, you may need to install drivers or software from the manufacturer's website if your computer does not have built-in Bluetooth.

Can I connect multiple devices to my computer's Bluetooth at the same time?

Yes, you can connect multiple devices to your computer's Bluetooth at the same time. However, this may affect the performance and speed of your Bluetooth connection, so it is recommended to only connect a few devices at a time.