My new discovery turns science on its head

In summary, a discussion on a forum about brewing instant coffee without heating water was summarized. One member shared their experiment and results, while others shared their opinions and concerns. Ultimately, it was concluded that this method is not a new discovery and has been done before.
rachmaninoff
I'd like to publish this in a peer-reviewed journal, but they'd probably reject it. I think General Discussion is an equally valid medium.

"Synthesis of Instant Coffee using Non Heated Water"
rachmaninoff
PF Institute For Coffee Science*

*not affiliated with the http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/coffee/"

Abstract: I demonstrate the title experimentally.

Introduction: Conventional coffee-brewing methodology states that instant coffee needs hot water to be synthesized (1). We claim that this is in fact incorrect, and further speculate that a conspiracy of water-heating corporations is responsible for this misinformation.(2)

Experimental methods: 1/6 tsp. of Instant Coffee is mixed with 25mL of cold water at 290K, at 102.34(2) kPa, at a background neutron flux of 1 neutron/fortnight.

Fig. 1: me before olfactory sampling
:zzz:

Fig. 2: me after olfactory sampling
:bugeye:

Analysis: The optical properties of the result are similar to those of ordinary coffee; it tastes somewhat worse. The coffee granules dissolve completely in <30 seconds. We hypothesize that the caffeine concentration is similar to that of mainstream coffee; a better-funded lab could verify this with GCMS.

Toxicology: Unknown.

Conclusions: A simpler method to brew instant coffee without heating water is presented. We expect our method will replace conventional methods, saving billions of dollars a day and revitalizing the economy, hence defeating communism and averting nuclear war. We politely request a Nobel prize.

(1) Nescafe et. al, "100% Pure Instant Coffee", side panel, particularly step two

(2) Conversations with Gen. J. Ripper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like more crackpottery at work.

I stand by my experimental data.

(seriously it worked... I was making regular coffee and was bored, so I tried this. I don't recommend reproducing it though, because it tastes slightly toxic.)

I think this study is dangerous and should be suppressed. It's only a hop, skip and a jump, and you could use it to disprove Special Relativity.

at a background neutron flux of 1 neutron/fortnight.
:biggrin: And you have a license to handle neutrons?

Next time add a stray muon to the mix.

Actually, one could go to the top of a very high mountain and increase the neutron flux, as well as some other particles.

The experiment is however better than the attempt to cook an egg with two cell phones. :biggrin:

I'm afraid it's been published before. I have a cookbook that provides similar instructions for dissolving instant coffee in cold water prior to adding it to the recipe. :biggrin: Sorry, you've been scooped. :frown:

rachmaninoff said:
Fig. 1: me before olfactory sampling
:zzz:

Fig. 2: me after olfactory sampling
:bugeye:
With this kind of proof, I'm convinced. :biggrin:

I'm just amazed to learn that science has a head.

Science is always ahead.

I retract the statements were I implied this stuff was toxic. It's not. I tried it again tonight, it's quite edible. I recommend you try this method for yourself and see - it really does save time!

Time shmime. Some things are meant to be done slowly and lovingly, to be sipped,savoured and enjoyed. At least that's what the ladies say.
'Tis blasphemy to call this coffee. Fie on thee, oh fie! Hie ye to the Blue Mountains of Jamaica and partake of the holy bean. Reject thee the counterfeit of "natural, enhanced flavour packets" of dung.
Receive the Irish Blessing and rejoice!

I like to occassionally brew a one-mouthful batch of luke-warm stuff by chewing a coffee bean. It's quick, efficient, and there's no cup to wash.

rachmaninoff2 said:
I retract the statements were I implied this stuff was toxic. It's not. I tried it again tonight, it's quite edible. I recommend you try this method for yourself and see - it really does save time!
If this is true, then explain to us what happened to the original PF member rachmaninoff who started this thread.

This has been done before. Perform this experiment with instant water and maybe you'll have something.

What is your new discovery that turns science on its head?

My new discovery is a breakthrough in the field of quantum mechanics that challenges the fundamental laws of physics.

How did you come up with this discovery?

I have been conducting experiments and research in this field for years, and through a series of unexpected results and observations, I was able to make this groundbreaking discovery.

What implications does this discovery have for current scientific theories?

This discovery has the potential to completely change our understanding of the universe and could potentially revolutionize the way we approach scientific theories and experiments.

How have other scientists responded to your discovery?

There has been a mix of excitement and skepticism among the scientific community. Some have replicated my experiments and confirmed my findings, while others are still hesitant to accept this new concept.

What are your plans for further research and development of this discovery?

I am currently working on further experiments and collaborations with other scientists to continue exploring the implications of this discovery. I am also open to feedback and criticism from the scientific community to further refine and validate my findings.

Back