My problem: weight distribution

In summary, two people tried to lift a 600lbs square box that was 3'x3' but were unsuccessful. However, they were able to move another box of the same weight (600lbs) but with dimensions 1'x5' instead. This could possibly be due to the weight being distributed over a wider area, but there is no specific theory for this phenomenon. The dimensions of the two boxes are 3x3x3 and 1x5x3, respectively. It is unclear why the two people were able to move the second box easier, as there may be other factors at play such as the density or base of the boxes.
skeonamm
My problem:

2 people attempt to lift a 600lbs square box that is 3'x3'. They are not able to.
The same 2 people than are able to move another box that is also 600lbs but this box is 1'x5'.
Now is it true that they are able to move the 2nd box because the weight of 600lbs is distributed over a wider area?

If so is there a name for this theory, that i can look up?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A box has 3 dimensions. What are the 3 dimensions of the two different boxes? (use Length x Width x Height)

If they're the same weight, the only thing I can think of is that it is easier somehow for the two people to get hold of the box and lift with their legs better. Like, if the first box makes it awkward for them to get their heads over their hands.

1st box 3x3x3
2nd box 1x5x3

Beats me. Maybe there's more to the problem than you are stating. For example, you said "lift" for the 1st box, but "move" for the second one. Why the difference? And with the full dimensions you list, the densities of the boxes must be different if they weigh the same but have different volumes. Maybe the 2nd box is easier to tip over because it has a narrower base?

1. What is weight distribution?

Weight distribution is the way in which an object's weight is spread out or balanced. It is important because it affects the stability and performance of an object.

2. How does weight distribution affect the handling of a vehicle?

Weight distribution plays a crucial role in the handling of a vehicle. If the weight is not properly distributed, it can cause the vehicle to be unbalanced, resulting in difficulty steering, braking, and turning. It can also impact the vehicle's fuel efficiency and tire wear.

3. What factors can influence weight distribution?

There are several factors that can affect weight distribution, including the shape and size of the object, the materials it is made of, and the distribution of weight within the object. Other external factors, such as gravity and wind, can also impact weight distribution.

4. How can weight distribution be improved?

Weight distribution can be improved by redistributing the weight within an object or by adding weight to certain areas to balance it out. This can be achieved through design changes or by using tools such as weights or counterweights.

5. Why is weight distribution important in sports and physical activities?

In sports and physical activities, weight distribution is important because it affects an individual's balance, coordination, and performance. Proper weight distribution can also help prevent injuries and improve overall physical fitness.