My question concerns electromagnetic (EM) wave propagation.

In summary: Yes, for the most part always. The change in material properties at the interface means that you will have reflection and refraction. In addition, the change in conductivity means that the attenuation will change between the two mediums. Even a modest conductivity greatly affects very low frequency waves. Wikipedia gives sea water as 4.8 mhos/m. That is a far cry from the conductivity of copper which is on the order of 10^8. But that is still enough that we needed to use ELF (~3-30 Hz) to communicate with submarines underwater. In fact, let's take the extreme of ELF, 30 Hz, and we find that the skin depth is around 40 m
lost_in_space
my question concerns electromagnetic (EM) wave propagation.

consider a two layer medium where the first layer has constant conductivity $\sigma_0$ and the second layer constant conductivity $\sigma_1$. If a EM wave propagates from the first medium into the second one boundary conditions have to be imposed at the interface.

Is it important to take this conditions into acount (i.e. can i ignore them) if i have a low frequency EM wave ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, for the most part always. The change in material properties at the interface means that you will have reflection and refraction. In addition, the change in conductivity means that the attenuation will change between the two mediums. Even a modest conductivity greatly affects very low frequency waves. Wikipedia gives sea water as 4.8 mhos/m. That is a far cry from the conductivity of copper which is on the order of 10^8. But that is still enough that we needed to use ELF (~3-30 Hz) to communicate with submarines underwater. In fact, let's take the extreme of ELF, 30 Hz, and we find that the skin depth is around 40 m. So you have to go very very very low frequency and even then the skin depth is still of a very short distance (especially when you consider that the wavelength of 30 Hz is 10,000 km).

It still boils down to the electrical distances over which you are observing the wave, but as you can see with our salt water example the behavior can still change rapidly over a very small fraction of the wavelength. Now in terms of refraction and reflection, that may not be as significant depending upon the relative contrasts of the materials.

Born2bwire said:
Yes, for the most part always. The change in material properties at the interface means that you will have reflection and refraction. In addition, the change in conductivity means that the attenuation will change between the two mediums. Even a modest conductivity greatly affects very low frequency waves. Wikipedia gives sea water as 4.8 mhos/m. That is a far cry from the conductivity of copper which is on the order of 10^8. But that is still enough that we needed to use ELF (~3-30 Hz) to communicate with submarines underwater. In fact, let's take the extreme of ELF, 30 Hz, and we find that the skin depth is around 40 m. So you have to go very very very low frequency and even then the skin depth is still of a very short distance (especially when you consider that the wavelength of 30 Hz is 10,000 km).

It still boils down to the electrical distances over which you are observing the wave, but as you can see with our salt water example the behavior can still change rapidly over a very small fraction of the wavelength. Now in terms of refraction and reflection, that may not be as significant depending upon the relative contrasts of the materials.

thank you very much for the detailed answesr.

my question otginates from the field of medical imaging. To be more precise in MRI nuclei are excited (placed in static magnet field and then are influenced by another EM pulse) so that they will emit a radio frequency wave... this wave propagates outward and is detected ... i never saw that boundary conditions were imposed to describe the propagation of this RF wave when it leaves the body and travels through air until it reaches a measuring coil

on the other hand: in microwave imaging objects are placed inside a bolus (salt water that has nearly the same conductivity as the body), inside this bolus there are transmitting and receiving antennas. what i get from papers there is that they place the object inside this bolus in order to avoid distortions in microwave propagation. (bolus has the same role as the contact fluid in ultrasound imaging i guess)...

Radio frequency is lower than microwave frequency, so i thought the reason why boundary conditions are neglected in MRI is this lower frequency...

1. How do electromagnetic waves propagate?

Electromagnetic waves propagate through a combination of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other and to the direction of wave propagation. These waves do not require a medium to travel through and can travel through vacuum.

2. What is the speed of electromagnetic waves?

The speed of electromagnetic waves is constant in a vacuum and is known as the speed of light, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second. This speed may vary in different materials, depending on their refractive index.

3. How do electromagnetic waves interact with matter?

Electromagnetic waves can interact with matter by absorption, reflection, or refraction. This interaction depends on the properties of the material, such as its density and composition, as well as the frequency and intensity of the electromagnetic wave.

4. How is the propagation of electromagnetic waves affected by obstacles?

The propagation of electromagnetic waves can be affected by obstacles such as buildings, trees, and mountains. These obstacles can cause diffraction, scattering, and absorption of the waves, which can impact the strength and direction of the wave propagation.

5. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength of electromagnetic waves?

The frequency and wavelength of electromagnetic waves are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c = fλ, where c is the speed of light, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.