1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

-N definition of limit

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1
    ϵ-N definition of limit

Use the ϵ-N definition of limit to prove that lim[(2n+1)/(5n-2)] = 2/5 as n goes to infinity.

The way I do it is Let ∊ > 0 be given. Notice N ∈ natural number (N) which satisfies {fill this box later}< N. It follows that if n>=N, then n > {fill this box later}, so for such n, |(2n+1)/(5n-2)-2/5| = |9/(25n-10)| = 9/5|1/(5n-2)|

I am supposed to get to a something that is less than ∊

How to make this to less than ∊?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are over halfway there. If you want 9/5|1/(5n-2)|<ε, you want 1/|5n-2|<5ε/9. 5n-2 is positive so you can drop the absolute value. Now turn it into an inequality for n.

4. Nov 6, 2013 #3
    Limit and Convergence

Suppose a_n > 0 and b_n > 0 for all n in natural number (N). Also, lim a_n/b_n = 0 as n goes to infinity. Then the sum of a_n converges if and only if the sum of b_n converges ...both from 1 to infinity.

My approach is that lim a_n/b_n = 0 means that there exists N in natural number (N) for which |a_n/b_n - 0| < 0 for all n >= N. Then 0 < a_n < 0. The sum of a_n from 1 to infinity is 0. So The sum of a_n from 1 to infinity is convergent.

Is this proof that easy or I miss something?

5. Nov 6, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The 'only if' part is clearly false. Pick a_n = 2^-n, b_n = 1. Should it have said lim a_n/b_n = c > 0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted