Proving lim[(2n+1)/(5n-2)] = 2/5 using the ϵ-N definition of limit

In summary: The sum of a_n from 1 to infinity is 0. So The sum of a_n from 1 to infinity is convergent.This seems like it would be a proof, but there might be something I'm missing. In summary, the sum of a_n from 1 to infinity converges if and only if the sum of b_n converges from 1 to infinity.
Askhwhelp
ϵ-N definition of limit

Use the ϵ-N definition of limit to prove that lim[(2n+1)/(5n-2)] = 2/5 as n goes to infinity.

The way I do it is Let ∊ > 0 be given. Notice N ∈ natural number (N) which satisfies {fill this box later}< N. It follows that if n>=N, then n > {fill this box later}, so for such n, |(2n+1)/(5n-2)-2/5| = |9/(25n-10)| = 9/5|1/(5n-2)|

I am supposed to get to a something that is less than ∊

How to make this to less than ∊?

Physics news on Phys.org
Askhwhelp said:
Use the ϵ-N definition of limit to prove that lim[(2n+1)/(5n-2)] = 2/5 as n goes to infinity.

The way I do it is Let ∊ > 0 be given. Notice N ∈ natural number (N) which satisfies {fill this box later}< N. It follows that if n>=N, then n > {fill this box later}, so for such n, |(2n+1)/(5n-2)-2/5| = |9/(25n-10)| = 9/5|1/(5n-2)|

I am supposed to get to a something that is less than ∊

How to make this to less than ∊?

You are over halfway there. If you want 9/5|1/(5n-2)|<ε, you want 1/|5n-2|<5ε/9. 5n-2 is positive so you can drop the absolute value. Now turn it into an inequality for n.

Limit and Convergence

Suppose a_n > 0 and b_n > 0 for all n in natural number (N). Also, lim a_n/b_n = 0 as n goes to infinity. Then the sum of a_n converges if and only if the sum of b_n converges ...both from 1 to infinity.

My approach is that lim a_n/b_n = 0 means that there exists N in natural number (N) for which |a_n/b_n - 0| < 0 for all n >= N. Then 0 < a_n < 0. The sum of a_n from 1 to infinity is 0. So The sum of a_n from 1 to infinity is convergent.

Is this proof that easy or I miss something?

Askhwhelp said:
Suppose a_n > 0 and b_n > 0 for all n in natural number (N). Also, lim a_n/b_n = 0 as n goes to infinity. Then the sum of a_n converges if and only if the sum of b_n converges ...both from 1 to infinity.
The 'only if' part is clearly false. Pick a_n = 2^-n, b_n = 1. Should it have said lim a_n/b_n = c > 0?

1. What is the ϵ-N definition of limit?

The ϵ-N definition of limit is a mathematical concept used to formally define the limit of a function at a particular point. It states that for any given margin of error (represented by ϵ), there exists a corresponding point (represented by N) such that all values of the function after that point will fall within the specified margin of error.

2. How is the ϵ-N definition of limit used to prove a limit?

In order to prove a limit using the ϵ-N definition, we must first choose a margin of error (ϵ) and then find a corresponding point (N) where all values of the function after that point will fall within the specified margin of error. We then use algebraic manipulation to show that the function approaches the desired limit as the input approaches the chosen point.

3. Why is proving limits using the ϵ-N definition important?

The ϵ-N definition of limit is important because it provides a rigorous and precise way to prove that a particular limit exists and has a specific value. It also allows us to understand the behavior of functions and how they approach certain values.

4. What is the significance of the limit [(2n+1)/(5n-2)] = 2/5?

This limit is significant because it represents the behavior of a function as the input (n) approaches infinity. It also illustrates how the function approaches a specific value (2/5) as the input increases without bound.

5. Can the ϵ-N definition of limit be applied to all functions?

The ϵ-N definition of limit can be applied to most functions, as long as they are continuous. However, for some functions, it may be more difficult to find a corresponding point (N) that satisfies the definition and therefore, it may be more challenging to prove the limit using this method.