1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

N! for 6 is 6*5*4*3*2*1 but what is 6.1! ?

1. Sep 8, 2004 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know that n! for 6 is 6*5*4*3*2*1 but what is 6.1! ? My calculator says 868.957. How do they come up with this?

I'm trying to write a computer program that mimics the calculator program that comes with windows.

I know that using my above formula that I have to make an exception for 0!=1, and Invalid Input for Function for a negative number.

Anything else I should know about n! ??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The factorial is a special case of the gamma function. The relationship is [itex]x! = \Gamma (x+1)[/itex] and the factorial is usually reserved for nonnegative integers.

4. Sep 8, 2004 #3

Janitor

Science Advisor

This question crops up here every now and then, I have noticed. Here is one website on the relation between the gamma function and factorials.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GammaFunction.html

5. Sep 8, 2004 #4

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for your replies. This forum is great!
    That link scared me away. I think I might drop the n! button from my calculator since I can't make it do non-integers and the Windows calculator can.

6. Sep 8, 2004 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, it's not too hard do. You can create a table of values for the gamma function over the interval (0, 1] from which you can obtain values of [itex]\Gamma (x)[/itex] for larger x values using the fact that [itex]\Gamma (x+1) = x \Gamma(x)[/itex]. If you want greater accuracy you can write a simple interpolation routine.

7. Sep 9, 2004 #6

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But what would I do with the values between 0 & 1? Add them to the integer's factorial, or multiply them (probably not. I'm guessing they'd be less than 1, and 6.1! > 6!). I'm not sure I could trust my interpolation routine. If I could come up with that I could probably forget the table altogether. I could also make the Calculator generate an error message on non-integer inputs. Do people ever use the n! button? I never have.

8. Sep 9, 2004 #7

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. You would branch to one of two subroutines - one for integer values and one for noninteger values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook