Is there an easy simplification of (n)/(n)?

• Thread starter S.N.
  • Start date
In summary, the simplification of (n!)/(n!) is equal to 1 for all values of n. This can be demonstrated by writing out the double factorial form of n! and cancelling out common terms. This simplification holds true for both even and odd values of n.
S.N.
n!/n! = ?

Hi, I have a quick question that's been bugging me: is there an easy simplification of (n!)/(n!)? And how is is demonstrated?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

S.N. said:
Hi, I have a quick question that's been bugging me: is there an easy simplification of (n!)/(n!)? And how is is demonstrated?
Yup. Depends on whether n is even or odd.

Try working it out. The answer will come in terms of another double factorial.

EDIT: My bad, it does not depend on whether n is even or odd.

Last edited:

I can hardly call it a simplication if it has another double factorial. I would just say it's another way to write it. It's equivalent.

The obvious answer to something that is equivalent...

(n!-1)!

Norman.Galois said:
I can hardly call it a simplication if it has another double factorial. I would just say it's another way to write it. It's equivalent.

Why? We have a factorial and a double factorial and we can reduce it to just a double factorial.

That sounds like simplification to me.

:rofl:
I laughed when I looked at your original question because I thought to myself:

[tex]\frac{n!}{n!} = ?[/tex] ... that can't be; where does the "?" come from?

It should be [tex]\frac{n!}{n!} = ![/tex] since the "n!" cancels out.

Like this: [tex]\frac{n!}{n!} = \frac{(n!)!}{n!} = \frac{n!}{n!}\times ! = 1\times ! = ![/tex] :rolleyes:

zgozvrm said:
:rofl:
I laughed when I looked at your original question because I thought to myself:

[tex]\frac{n!}{n!} = ?[/tex] ... that can't be; where does the "?" come from?

It should be [tex]\frac{n!}{n!} = ![/tex] since the "n!" cancels out.

Like this: [tex]\frac{n!}{n!} = \frac{(n!)!}{n!} = \frac{n!}{n!}\times ! = 1\times ! = ![/tex] :rolleyes:

In differential equations class, they had...

[tex]x = \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

The student canceled the d's, and then multiplied both sides by x and added "+C". That's [itex]y = x^2 + C[/itex]. Argued his answer was correct and was only missing an insignificant coeficient and should get full marks.

Im not a mathemagician. But you could use Stirling's approximation if you assume large n.

Norman.Galois said:

The student canceled the d's, and then multiplied both sides by x and added "+C". That's [itex]y = x^2 + C[/itex]. Argued his answer was correct and was only missing an insignificant coeficient and should get full marks.

That's like
[tex]\frac{sin x}{n}= 6[/tex]

Mark44 said:
That's like
[tex]\frac{sin x}{n}= 6[/tex]

Good one! (It took me a while, but I got it!)

Norman.Galois said:

I know a guy who actually did that on a Calculus Preparedness Exam for our physics class. Wherever there was d/dx, he would just cancel the d's and divide by x.

Lol, it even kind of works for polynomials, if you commonly ignore coefficients...

Norman.Galois said:

The obvious answer to something that is equivalent...

(n!-1)!

Actually it's [itex](n! - 1)![/itex]. You slipped in an extra factorial there. :)

Char. Limit said:
Lol, it even kind of works for polynomials, if you commonly ignore coefficients...

Hence why the student kept arguing.

I would hardly call any coefficient insignificant, though.

What's the difference between [tex]x^3[/tex] and [tex]100x^3[/tex]? Only an insignificant coefficient that changes the answer by a factor of 2.

that is in the simplest possible form

I mean, you have one variable and 3 of the same operators. What are you hoping for?

n!=n(n-2)(n-4)... right? I get 1/((n-1)!) just by writing it out and cancelling out.

madness said:
n!=n(n-2)(n-4)... right? I get 1/((n-1)!) just by writing it out and cancelling out.
Good job. : )

OH!

I was thinking (n!)!.

Norman.Galois said:
OH!

I was thinking (n!)!.
I thought the same thing here Norm. Maybe the OP could have explained it's meaning since it's not such a common symbol and easily confused.

Also I must say that I find "double factorial" a very unintuitive name for that function. It should be called "half factorial" IMHO.

Hey, thanks for the responses. I suppose I should have clarified that I meant the "double factorial" rather than (n!)!.

Getting back to the original question, if that is permissable, if n is even then n! is n(n-2)(n-4)...(6)(4)(2). If n is odd then n!= n(n-2)(n-3)...(5)(3)(1).

In particular, with n even, n= 2m so that is n!= (2m)!= 2m(2m-2)(2m-4)...(2*3)(2*2)(2*1)= (2m)(2(m-1))(2(m-2)...(2(3))(2(2))(2(1))= 2mm!.

In that case
[tex] \frac{n!}{/n!}= \frac{(2m)!}{(2m)!}= \frac{2^m m!}{(2m)!}[/tex]

If n is odd, n= 2m+1, then n!= (2m+1)!= (2m+1)(2m-1)(2m-3)...(5)(3)(1). We can make that a full factorial by multiplying and dividing by (2m)!:
[tex]\frac{(2m+1)(2m)(2m-1)(2m-2)(2m-3)...(5)(4)(3)2(1)}{(2)!}= \frac{n!}{(2m)!}[/tex]
[tex]= n!\frac{(2m)!}{2^m m!}= \frac{(2m+1)!(2m)!}{2^m m!}[/tex]

and so
[tex]\frac{(2m+1)!}{(2m+1)!}= \frac{(2m)!}{2^m m!}[/tex]

1. What is the simplified form of (n)/(n)?

The simplified form of (n)/(n) is 1. This is because any number divided by itself equals 1, regardless of the value of n.

2. Can (n)/(n) be simplified further?

No, (n)/(n) cannot be simplified any further. It is already in its simplest form.

3. Why is (n)/(n) equal to 1?

(n)/(n) is equal to 1 because when a number is divided by itself, the result is always 1. This is a basic mathematical principle.

4. Can (n)/(n) be simplified if n is a variable?

No, (n)/(n) cannot be simplified if n is a variable. The variable n could represent any number, and the simplified form would still be 1.

5. Is there a different way to write (n)/(n) without using division?

Yes, (n)/(n) can also be written as n/n. This is the same as 1, but it eliminates the use of the division symbol.