Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: N-slit Interference/Diffraction

1. Mar 20, 2006 #1
    Hi, having trouble determining whether my lab book has made an error, or I have.

Intensity as a function of [tex]\phi[/tex] for 2 slits is given as

[tex]A^2={A_2}^2\frac{sin^2(\frac{\phi}{2})}{{(\frac{\phi}{2})}^2}cos^2(\frac{\beta}{2})[/tex]

but then it gives the amplitude for N slits to be

[tex]A^2={A_N}^2\frac{sin^2(\frac{\phi}{2})}{{(\frac{\phi}{2})}^2}\frac{sin^2(\frac{N\beta}{2})}{sin^2(\frac{\beta}{2})}[/tex]

However, when I sub in N = 2 for the equation (2), and use the double angle formula to reduce the right fraction in equation (2) I get 4*equation(1) rather than just the equation(1) alone. Am I doing it wrong?

To be more succinct, isn't [tex]\frac{sin^2(\frac{N\beta}{2})}{sin^2(\frac{\beta}{2})} = 4cos^2(\frac{\beta}{2})[/tex]?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't have my optics references handy, but I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

I'd say that should be:
    [tex]A^2={A_0}^2\frac{sin^2(\frac{\phi}{2})}{{(\frac{\phi}{2})}^2}\frac{sin^2(\frac{N\beta}{2})}{sin^2(\frac{\beta}{2})}[/tex]

It makes sense that the peak intensity should be proportional to the number of slits squared.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook