N-slit Interference/Diffraction

• Thread starter Warr
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the equations for intensity as a function of angle and the amplitude for multiple slits. The question is whether the equation for N slits should be 4 times the equation for 2 slits. The expert believes that the equation should be for N = 0, not N = 2, and that the peak intensity should be proportional to the number of slits squared.
Warr
Hi, having trouble determining whether my lab book has made an error, or I have.

Intensity as a function of [tex]\phi[/tex] for 2 slits is given as

[tex]A^2={A_2}^2\frac{sin^2(\frac{\phi}{2})}{{(\frac{\phi}{2})}^2}cos^2(\frac{\beta}{2})[/tex]

but then it gives the amplitude for N slits to be

[tex]A^2={A_N}^2\frac{sin^2(\frac{\phi}{2})}{{(\frac{\phi}{2})}^2}\frac{sin^2(\frac{N\beta}{2})}{sin^2(\frac{\beta}{2})}[/tex]

However, when I sub in N = 2 for the equation (2), and use the double angle formula to reduce the right fraction in equation (2) I get 4*equation(1) rather than just the equation(1) alone. Am I doing it wrong?

To be more succinct, isn't [tex]\frac{sin^2(\frac{N\beta}{2})}{sin^2(\frac{\beta}{2})} = 4cos^2(\frac{\beta}{2})[/tex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have my optics references handy, but I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

Warr said:
but then it gives the amplitude for N slits to be

[tex]A^2={A_N}^2\frac{sin^2(\frac{\phi}{2})}{{(\frac{\phi}{2})}^2}\frac{sin^2(\frac{N\beta}{2})}{sin^2(\frac{\beta}{2})}[/tex]
I'd say that should be:
[tex]A^2={A_0}^2\frac{sin^2(\frac{\phi}{2})}{{(\frac{\phi}{2})}^2}\frac{sin^2(\frac{N\beta}{2})}{sin^2(\frac{\beta}{2})}[/tex]

It makes sense that the peak intensity should be proportional to the number of slits squared.

Hello, it appears that there may be a mistake in your lab book. The equation for N slits should be A^2 = A_N^2 * (sin^2(phi/2) / (phi/2)^2) * (sin^2(N*beta/2) / sin^2(beta/2)). This is different from the equation you have written, which seems to be missing the first fraction. When substituting N=2, the equation should simplify to 4*equation (1), as you have correctly pointed out. I would recommend double checking your lab book and possibly consulting with your instructor to clarify any confusion.

What is N-slit interference/diffraction?

N-slit interference/diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through a series of narrow slits or openings and creates a pattern of light and dark fringes on a screen or surface. It is a result of the wave-like nature of light, where the waves interfere with each other as they pass through the slits.

How does N-slit interference/diffraction work?

When light passes through the slits, it diffracts and creates secondary wavefronts. These wavefronts then interfere with each other, resulting in areas of constructive and destructive interference. The constructive interference produces bright fringes, while the destructive interference produces dark fringes.

What factors affect N-slit interference/diffraction?

The main factors that affect N-slit interference/diffraction are the wavelength of the light, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. The wavelength of light determines the spacing of the fringes, while the distance between the slits and the screen affects the intensity of the fringes.

What applications does N-slit interference/diffraction have?

N-slit interference/diffraction has various applications in the field of optics and imaging. It is used in spectrometers to analyze the properties of light, in diffraction gratings to separate light into its component wavelengths, and in interferometers for precise measurements.

What are the differences between N-slit interference/diffraction and single-slit interference/diffraction?

The main difference between N-slit interference/diffraction and single-slit interference/diffraction is the number of slits used. In single-slit interference/diffraction, only one slit is used, while in N-slit interference/diffraction, multiple slits are used. This results in a more complex interference pattern with multiple bright and dark fringes in N-slit interference/diffraction, compared to a single bright and dark fringe in single-slit interference/diffraction.