Undergrad Struggles: Naming Compounds

• Thread starter SpinzTronics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a complex molecule consisting of a napthalene attached to a cyclopentane, a benzene in the 5th position, a double bond coming out of the cyclopentane at position four, and a fluorene attached at the middle upper point of the cyclopentane. The individual tried to deconstruct and name the various parts of the molecule without success and ultimately turned to a chemical drawing software for assistance.
SpinzTronics
A friend of mine showed me this molecule and asked me about certain properties like its resonance, donating/withdrawing properties, and that was fine until he worried about the naming conventions.
Description of molec since this site won't let me upload the pic: napthalene molec atached to 2,3 or a cyclopentane, a benzene in the 5th position, a double bond going out of cyclopentane at posotion four, and a fluorene molec attached at middle upper point of the cyclopentane in fluorene.

Honestly, looking it up was of no avail. So I tried "deconstructing" its parts:
2,3-dihydro-1H-cyclopenta[ B] napthalene or 1H-Benz(F)indene,2,3-dihydro-
5-cyclopentylbenzene
4-diene-fluorene

So would this work? 4-diene-fluorene-1H-Benz(F)indene,2,3-dihydro-5-cyclopentylbenzene

This undergrad stuff is long forgotten by me, so I would appreciate your help!

Attachments

• Unknown cmpd.png
    Unknown cmpd.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 471
  • Unknown cmpd.png
    Unknown cmpd.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 521
  • Unknown cmpd.png
    Unknown cmpd.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 550
  • Unknown cmpd.png
    Unknown cmpd.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 543
  • Unknown cmpd.png
    Unknown cmpd.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 520
  • Unknown cmpd.png
    Unknown cmpd.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 558
Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thanks! I will try this! =)

Related to Undergrad Struggles: Naming Compounds

1. What is the purpose of naming compounds in chemistry?

Naming compounds is important in chemistry because it allows us to communicate accurately and efficiently about different substances. It also helps us understand the composition and properties of a compound.

2. How do I know which naming system to use for a compound?

The naming system used for a compound depends on the type of compound and its chemical formula. For example, ionic compounds are named using the cation and anion present, while covalent compounds use prefixes to indicate the number of atoms of each element.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when naming compounds?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the appropriate prefixes in covalent compound names. Another is mixing up the order of elements in the name, as the first element is always listed first in the name. It is also important to remember to use the correct charges for ions when naming ionic compounds.

4. Is there a specific order to follow when naming compounds?

Yes, there is a specific order to follow when naming compounds. For ionic compounds, the cation is named first followed by the anion. For covalent compounds, the elements are listed in order of increasing electronegativity. Prefixes are also used in covalent compound names to indicate the number of atoms of each element.

5. Are there any resources available to help with naming compounds?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with naming compounds. Your chemistry textbook or notes may have a section on naming compounds, and there are also online tutorials and practice exercises available. Additionally, there are periodic tables and charts that show the correct prefixes and charges for naming compounds.

Back