Mystery Sound Competition: Who Can Name the Source?

In summary, the conversation is about a mystery sound competition where participants have to guess the source of a sound and then choose the next mystery sound. The conversation also touches on the use of filters in altering sounds and the difficulty of finding interesting sounds. One participant shares a link to a website with space audio, while another participant shares a link to a website with a mysterious sound for others to guess. The conversation ends with one participant asking for a hint and the other participant clarifying that there is no repeat in the sound.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't recall ever trying a mystery sound competition. So, in the fashion of other competitions, whoever can name the source of the sound picks out the next mystery. The imagery in this video is irrelevant and not intended as a clue or a false lead.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/546/7yb.mp4/

Physics news on Phys.org
Too hard? No interest? Need a clue?

Am I hearing a bandpass filter being used to alter the sound?

dlgoff said:
Am I hearing a bandpass filter being used to alter the sound?

No doubt there is an astronomical degree of filtering involved.

Ivan Seeking said:
No doubt there is an astronomical degree of filtering involved.

That made it rather easy to find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHEVo-LkDrQ"

However, I don't have any idea how to come up with an equally interesting sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonathan Scott said:

However, I don't have any idea how to come up with an equally interesting sound.

I was searching on "sounds of space" when trying to figure this out but found this instead:

http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/"

Jonathan Scott said:

That was unusual but doesn't have to be definitive of the entries. However, if you wish to pass, maybe dlgoff can give it a go in your place? Your choice.

Ivan Seeking said:
That was unusual but doesn't have to be definitive of the entries. However, if you wish to pass, maybe dlgoff can give it a go in your place? Your choice.

Yes, dlgoff is welcome.

What a great idea for a game!

fuzzyfelt said:
What a great idea for a game!

Assuming anyone wants to play! :biggrin:

dlgoff, are you looking, absent, or passing?

Too hard? Try listing to it at a slower speed. Not the best fidelity though.

An electric typewriter?

Ivan Seeking said:
An electric typewriter?
Nope. Maybe a hint?

dlgoff said:
Nope. Maybe a hint?

Only if someone else asks for one. I'd like to ponder this a bit more first.

Correction: I do have a couple of questions. Is this played in real time? And, would it normally repeat where the audio ends?

Ivan Seeking said:
Correction: I do have a couple of questions. Is this played in real time? And, would it normally repeat where the audio ends?

I'm not sure about the .wav speed being the real time speed but it could be.

No repeat. It's just one event.

What is the Mystery Sound Competition?

The Mystery Sound Competition is an interactive game where participants are given a sound clip and have to identify the source of the sound. It is designed to test your observation and deductive reasoning skills.

How does the competition work?

Each participant is given a sound clip and has to listen to it carefully to identify the source of the sound. They then have to submit their answer along with their reasoning. The person with the most accurate answer and explanation wins the competition.

Who can participate in the competition?

Anyone with an interest in science and sound can participate in the Mystery Sound Competition. It is open to people of all ages and backgrounds.

Can I use any resources to help me identify the sound?

No, the Mystery Sound Competition is designed to test your observation and deductive reasoning skills. Therefore, the use of any external resources, such as the internet or books, is not allowed.

What are the prizes for winning the competition?

The prizes for winning the Mystery Sound Competition may vary, but they typically include recognition, a certificate, and sometimes a small monetary prize. The main reward, however, is the satisfaction of solving the mystery sound correctly and showcasing your scientific skills.