Nanometer resolution actuators

• Thread starter new299
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resolution
In summary, the conversation discusses different types of actuators capable of nanometer precision and their potential use in nanopositioning applications. The main focus is on piezo actuators and their review, but the conversation also explores the possibility of using other types of actuators such as electrostatic actuators, steppers, geared steppers, and coreless DC motors. The mention of commercial interferometers using air bearings to stabilize mirrors at very low nanometer levels is also brought up.
new299
I'm curious about nanometer precision actuators, I wrote a short review of the Piezo actuator types I'm aware of here:

http://41j.com/blog/2014/09/piezo-actuators-a-review/

But does anyone have any information on other actuator types capable of nanopositioning? Are there any electrostatic actuators suitable for nanopositioning applications?

My understanding was that steppers have too much vibrational noise to be used for nanoposiitoning, but I've recently purchased some stages which claim micron resolution using 5-phase steppers. Can geared steppers or perhaps coreless DC motors be used for nanopositioning applications?

Engineering news on Phys.org
new299 said:
I'm curious about nanometer precision actuators, I wrote a short review of the Piezo actuator types I'm aware of here:

http://41j.com/blog/2014/09/piezo-actuators-a-review/

But does anyone have any information on other actuator types capable of nanopositioning? Are there any electrostatic actuators suitable for nanopositioning applications?

My understanding was that steppers have too much vibrational noise to be used for nanoposiitoning, but I've recently purchased some stages which claim micron resolution using 5-phase steppers. Can geared steppers or perhaps coreless DC motors be used for nanopositioning applications?

Some commercial interferometers use an air bearing to mount the movable mirror (with a solenoid ? with active feedback control) to stabilize the mirror at the zero crossings of a He:Ne reference laser (+/- few nm).

1. What exactly are nanometer resolution actuators?

Nanometer resolution actuators are devices that are capable of precisely moving or manipulating objects at a scale of nanometers, which is one billionth of a meter. These actuators utilize advanced technologies and materials to achieve such high levels of precision and control.

2. How do nanometer resolution actuators work?

Nanometer resolution actuators typically use piezoelectric materials or electromagnetic fields to generate small, precise movements. They can also be controlled and programmed through computer systems to achieve specific movements or positions with incredible accuracy.

3. What are the main applications of nanometer resolution actuators?

Nanometer resolution actuators have a wide range of applications, including microscopy, biotechnology, nanofabrication, and precision manufacturing. They are also used in scientific research and development, particularly in the field of nanotechnology.

4. Are there any limitations to nanometer resolution actuators?

While nanometer resolution actuators have incredibly high precision and control, they do have some limitations. These include limited range of movement, susceptibility to environmental factors such as temperature and vibration, and the need for precise calibration and maintenance to maintain their accuracy.

5. What are the benefits of using nanometer resolution actuators?

The use of nanometer resolution actuators offers numerous benefits, including the ability to manipulate objects at extremely small scales, increased precision and control in various applications, and the potential for advancements in fields such as medicine and electronics. These actuators also have the potential to improve efficiency and reduce costs in manufacturing processes.