Naphtalene solid state Quantum Yield

In summary, Luca has a question about the absolute quantum yield of naphthalene and is looking for a reference paper to compare with a measured value. He needs to calibrate his integrating sphere for emissions in the UV region and is considering using naphthalene for this purpose. He also mentions struggling with creating a correcting function for the sphere.
kagliostro
Hi guys,
first of all I want to say that this forum saved me several and several times and I love it.
I have a question for you related to absolute quantum yield of naphthalene determined with an integrating sphere. Do you have an idea how much should be? COuld you pass me a reference paper (that I am not able to find).
The purpose is that I need to calibrate my sphere for emissions closer to the UV region and I want to compare a published value with a measured one and see how much deviate from it.
Thanks a lot

Luca

Chemistry news on Phys.org
kagliostro said:
Hi guys,
first of all I want to say that this forum saved me several and several times and I love it.
I have a question for you related to absolute quantum yield of naphthalene determined with an integrating sphere. Do you have an idea how much should be? COuld you pass me a reference paper (that I am not able to find).
The purpose is that I need to calibrate my sphere for emissions closer to the UV region and I want to compare a published value with a measured one and see how much deviate from it.
Thanks a lot

Luca
I use naphtalene spheres to prevent my clothes being eaten by moths. However, they tend to disintegrate instead of integrate.:smile:
Seriously, a more detailed description about what kind of measurement you are talking about could be helpful.

Ok I go deeper.
Basically we have just received an integrating sphere to determine absolute values of quantum yields. The sphere comes with a correcting function that takes in count the behaviour of the reflecting material through the different wavelengths. However the correcting functions starts from 330 nm and covers all the visible spectra.
Since I need to cover 20 nm more (from 310 to 330) in the correcting function of the sphere, I was thinking to use naphthalene in order to determine the quantum yield and compare it with the literature one and see how far we are.
However if you have an idea how to create a correcting function for an integrating sphere, do not hesitate to tell me because I am going mental with this!

Thanks a lot in advance

1. What is Naphtalene solid state Quantum Yield?

Naphtalene solid state Quantum Yield is a measure of the efficiency of a solid-state material to emit light when excited by a light source.

2. How is Naphtalene solid state Quantum Yield measured?

Naphtalene solid state Quantum Yield is measured by comparing the amount of light emitted by the material to the amount of light absorbed by the material. This ratio is expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating a more efficient emission of light.

3. What factors can affect Naphtalene solid state Quantum Yield?

The Quantum Yield of Naphtalene in its solid state can be affected by various factors such as the purity of the material, the presence of impurities, the crystal structure, and external conditions such as temperature and pressure.

4. How is Naphtalene used in solid state Quantum Yield research?

Naphtalene is commonly used in solid state Quantum Yield research as a standard reference material due to its well-defined absorption and emission properties. It is also used in the development of new materials with improved Quantum Yield.

5. What are the applications of Naphtalene solid state Quantum Yield?

Naphtalene solid state Quantum Yield has various applications in fields such as optoelectronics, photovoltaics, and lighting. It is also used in the production of fluorescent dyes and other materials that require efficient emission of light.