Nasty Integral - Help with Trig Substitution

In summary: But now, use [tex]\ 1 + \tan^2\theta = \sec^2\theta\ to get :[tex] 2 p \int_{\tan^{-1}{\frac{p}{\alpha}}}^{\tan^{-1}{\frac{-p}{\alpha}}} \bigg[ \frac{\sec{\theta}}{(1+\alpha^2 \sec^2{\theta})} \bigg] d\thetaAlso, from my earlier hint, \ \tan^{-1}{\frac{p}{\alpha}} = \tan^{-1}{\frac{\sqrt{1+p^2}}{p}} = \theta_1\ and \ \
mrworf

Homework Statement

[itex]
\int_{-p}^{p} \frac{2p}{(1+v^2)\sqrt{p^2 + v^2 +1 }} dv
[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] 1 + \tan{\theta}^2 = \sec{\theta}^2 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the best way to go about this was to rename some constants.
Let [itex]\alpha^2 = 1 + p^2 [/itex] so that we are left with:
[itex]
\int_{-p}^{p} \frac{2p}{(1+v^2)\sqrt{\alpha^2+ v^2 }} dv
[/itex]

i then make the variable substitution:
[itex] v = \alpha \tan{\theta} [/itex]
[itex] dv = \alpha \sec{\theta}^2 d\theta [/itex]

we now have:
[itex]
2p \int_{-p}^{p} \frac{1}{(1+\alpha^2 \tan^2{\theta})\sqrt{\alpha^2(1+\tan^2{\theta} )}} \alpha \sec{\theta}^2 d\theta
[/itex]

[itex]
2p \int_{-p}^{p} \frac{1}{(1+\alpha^2 \tan^2{\theta})\alpha \sec{\theta}} \alpha \sec{\theta}^2 d\theta
[/itex]

[itex]
2p \int_{-p}^{p} \frac{ \sec{\theta}}{(1+\alpha^2 \tan^2{\theta})} d\theta
[/itex]

at this point i hit a roadblock - the (1 - \alpha \tan{\theta} ) term seems to be an inextricable pain . other substitutions leave me with a similar problem.
If anyone can point me in the direction of a better trig substitution, or perhaps an identity then your help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks for reading
-mrworf

Physics news on Phys.org
mrworf said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\int_{-p}^{p} \frac{2p}{(1+v^2)\sqrt{p^2 + v^2 +1 }} dv[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] 1 + \tan{\theta}^2 = \sec{\theta}^2 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the best way to go about this was to rename some constants.
Let [itex]\alpha^2 = 1 + p^2 [/itex] so that we are left with:[itex]
\int_{-p}^{p} \frac{2p}{(1+v^2)\sqrt{\alpha^2+ v^2 }} dv[/itex]

i then make the variable substitution:
[itex] v = \alpha \tan{\theta} [/itex]
[itex] dv = \alpha \sec{\theta}^2 d\theta [/itex]

we now have:
[itex]2p \int_{-p}^{p} \frac{1}{(1+\alpha^2 \tan^2{\theta})\sqrt{\alpha^2(1+\tan^2{\theta} )}} \alpha \sec{\theta}^2 d\theta[/itex]

[itex]2p \int_{-p}^{p} \frac{1}{(1+\alpha^2 \tan^2{\theta})\alpha \sec{\theta}} \alpha \sec{\theta}^2 d\theta[/itex]

[itex]2p \int_{-p}^{p} \frac{ \sec{\theta}}{(1+\alpha^2 \tan^2{\theta})} d\theta[/itex]

at this point i hit a roadblock - the (1 - \alpha \tan{\theta} ) term seems to be an inextricable pain . other substitutions leave me with a similar problem.
If anyone can point me in the direction of a better trig substitution, or perhaps an identity then your help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks for reading
-mrworf
Hello mrworf. Welcome to PF !

First of all, [itex] \ \sec\theta^2\ [/itex] means [itex] \ \sec(\theta^2)\,\ [/itex] whereas [itex] \ \sec^2\theta\ [/itex] means [itex] \ (\sec\theta)^2\ .\ [/itex] I'm sure you want the latter for this problem.

Also, you need to change the limits of integration to reflect the substitution you did.

right on, with sammyS' suggestion, my equation becomes:

[itex]2 p \int_{\tan^{-1}{\frac{p}{\alpha}}}^{\tan^{-1}{\frac{-p}{\alpha}}} \bigg[ \frac{\sec{\theta}}{(1+\alpha^2 \tan^2{\theta})} \bigg] d\theta [/itex]

mrworf said:
right on, with sammyS' suggestion, my equation becomes:

[itex]\displaystyle 2 p \int_{\tan^{-1}{\frac{p}{\alpha}}}^{\tan^{-1}{\frac{-p}{\alpha}}} \bigg[ \frac{\sec{\theta}}{(1+\alpha^2 \tan^2{\theta})} \bigg] d\theta [/itex]
I admit, it's still quite nasty !

1. What is a "nasty" integral?

A "nasty" integral is a term used to describe an integral that is difficult to solve using traditional methods, such as integration by parts or substitution. These integrals often involve complicated functions or expressions that make it challenging to find an exact solution.

2. What is a trig substitution?

A trigonometric substitution is a technique used to simplify an integral by replacing the variable with a trigonometric function. This substitution is helpful when dealing with integrals involving expressions containing square roots or quadratic terms.

3. How do I know when to use a trig substitution?

Trig substitutions are most commonly used when dealing with integrals involving expressions with square roots, quadratic terms, or expressions containing the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, tangent, or secant. Look for these types of terms in the integrand to determine if a trig substitution may be useful.

4. What are the steps to solving an integral using trig substitution?

The steps for solving an integral using trig substitution are as follows:1. Identify the type of trig substitution needed based on the terms in the integrand.2. Make the substitution by replacing the variable with the appropriate trigonometric function.3. Simplify the integral using trigonometric identities.4. Solve the resulting integral.5. Make the appropriate substitution back to the original variable.

5. Can you provide an example of solving a "nasty" integral using trig substitution?

Yes, for example, the integral ∫(x^2)/(√(1-x^2)) dx can be solved using the trig substitution x=sinθ. This substitution simplifies the integral to ∫(sin^2θ)/(cosθ) dθ, which can be solved using trigonometric identities. Once the solution is found, the substitution can be made back to the original variable x to obtain the final answer.