Natural frequency calculated theorectically and experimentally

In summary, the conversation revolved around the calculation of natural frequency for a spring mass system using theoretical analysis and experimental data. There was a difference between the two results, leading to a discussion about the potential cause of this difference, with the possibility of damping being raised. The accuracy of measurements, such as the spring constant and mass, was also questioned. The process for calculating natural frequency using both methods was described. The effect of damping on natural frequency was discussed, with sources providing conflicting information. Further questions were raised about the constancy of the spring constant and the accuracy of using the experimentally determined value in theoretical calculations.
balogun

Homework Statement

I was given a spring mass system and asked to calculate the natural frequency by theorectical analysis and by using experimental data.

There was a difference between the natural frequency calculated theorectically and experimentally.

I was asked to discuss the difference in results and I wanted to know if damping is the cause for the difference in results .

Physics news on Phys.org
What was the difference between theoretical and experimental results for natural frequency. Certainly damping would have an effect.

Are the spring constant and mass accurately measured?

for the theorectical analysis I was given the length of spring, the mass attached and the length of stretched spring.I used that to calculate spring constant and then calculate frequency.

for the experimental I was given the time for 20 oscllations for five different readings.

Found average time ,diivided by 20 to find period and found inverse of period to find frequency.

I think damping has an effecy but I have read online that damping only affects amplitude of oscillation not the period.

The natural frequency is not affected by damping, but the damped frequency can be different. However, the different may not be too different.

http://hypertextbook.com/chaos/41.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/oscda2.html#c2

Is the spring constant actually constant over the range of deflection?

Did one measure the relaxed length (unloaded) of the spring before and after the experiment?

Did one use the spring constant determined from the experiment in the theoretical calculations?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is natural frequency?

Natural frequency is the frequency at which a system vibrates when disturbed without any external force. It is the inherent property of a system and depends on its mass and stiffness.

How is natural frequency calculated theorectically?

Natural frequency can be calculated theorectically using the equation: f = 1/2π * √(k/m), where f is the natural frequency, k is the stiffness of the system, and m is the mass of the system.

How is natural frequency calculated experimentally?

Natural frequency can be calculated experimentally by measuring the system's response to a known external force. The frequency at which the system vibrates the most is the natural frequency. This can be done using a frequency analyzer or by plotting a frequency response curve.

What factors can affect the accuracy of natural frequency calculated theorectically?

The accuracy of natural frequency calculated theorectically can be affected by factors such as material properties, boundary conditions, and simplifications made in the calculation model.

How does natural frequency play a role in engineering and design?

Natural frequency is an important consideration in engineering and design as it determines the stability and performance of a system. It is used to ensure that a structure or machine can withstand vibrations without failure. It is also used to design systems with desired frequencies for specific applications, such as musical instruments.