What is the Nature of Matter: Electron & Fundamental Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the composition of fundamental particles, specifically the electron. It is stated that the electron is not made of anything smaller and is considered a fundamental particle. Different theories, such as QFT and string theory, are mentioned, but it is ultimately stated that the true nature of these particles is unknowable. The conversation also touches on the wave-like properties of these particles and why the majority of the physics community adopted the particle theory of N. Bohr.
jodavwel
What is an electron made of and, what are other so called fundamental particles made of?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are not made of anything else - that's why they are called fundamental.

This the second question that dipped into "the nature of the universe"

Phy I , quarks... wtitten to be the fundamental unit mathmatically proven.

my answer to my professor: Their is probably life growing on it.

lately, I've been going with: the sum of all energy is equal to zero...

if you ever fall off that log, in that direction, you can alway get a job selling "Man can't know anything" or get out of physics.

The proton and the neutron are each composed of three quarks. The electron is not composed of anything smaller.

The electron is a fundamental particle i.e. it has no constituents. What it is made of, I think, can't be answered generally in any theory. In QFT particles are excitations of an underlying field, certain properties can be measured but what it is made of is basically unknowable.

What about the wave structure of matter theory? See dr. Milo wolff and others, e.g. William clifford, a. Einstein, e. Schrodinger. Why did the majority of the physics community adopt the particle theory of n. Bohr?

According to string theory: everything is made of vibrating strings.

jodavwel said:
What about the wave structure of matter theory? See dr. Milo wolff and others, e.g. William clifford, a. Einstein, e. Schrodinger. Why did the majority of the physics community adopt the particle theory of n. Bohr?
"Particles with wave-like properties" is the usual way to view these objects.
They are fundamental particles as they cannot be split into smaller parts, and their propagation can be described with equations for waves.

FAQ: What is the Nature of Matter: Electron & Fundamental Particles

1. What is the nature of matter?

The nature of matter refers to the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It encompasses everything that has mass and occupies space, including atoms and subatomic particles.

2. What are electrons?

Electrons are tiny, negatively charged particles that orbit around the nucleus of an atom. They are one of the fundamental particles that make up all matter.

3. What are fundamental particles?

Fundamental particles are the smallest and most basic units of matter. They cannot be broken down into smaller components and include particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

4. How do electrons contribute to the nature of matter?

Electrons play a crucial role in determining the physical and chemical properties of matter. They determine the structure of atoms and how they interact with one another through their electrical charges.

5. Why do we study the nature of matter and its fundamental particles?

Studying the nature of matter and its fundamental particles helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. It also allows us to develop new technologies and applications that improve our daily lives.

Back