Nature of Vacuum: Exploring the Unknown

In summary, pure vacuum does not exist, but space vacuum temperature is about 7 degrees kelvin. Virtual particles exist in vacuums and it is possible to exclude them.
iyalcin
Hi everybody,
I am new to this site. And for this first time I want to ask your thoughts about "space - vacuum". Does anybody have any interest in this area. I mean, the question "what is empty space?" is always there and as far as I know not a complete and satisfactory answer has arosen for this subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't one yet. That's what all the study into string, superstring, membrane, pizza, etc. theories is about. (Okay, I made up that last one.)

Given that vacuum has a given energy density, or so I've heard, one might conjecture that vacuum is the minimum density of energy necessary to have space, magnetic & eletric & gravitational fields being composed of denser energy, matter being even denser, and zero energy being no space at all.
Perhaps one day we may make an engine that travels a given distance by using the energy in the vacuum thus eliminating space. :smile:

Last edited:
but...okay, are we talking about vacuum as in what's around galaxies etc, or pure vacuum?

as far as i can tell from knowledge and guessings pure vacuum does not exist. Space vacuum temperature is about 7degrees kelvin...but if pure vacuum existed it would be absolute zero...meaning particles would have a motion equal to zero and their energy would equal zero. this means...space would still be there, but not the way we'd think.

maybe since particles do NOTHING the process of time passing will no longuer affect them, in a way slowing time for anything reaching this condition of no movement, no reaction, no energy on nothing. Maybe. i don't know.

Primarily, this depends upon what you consider 'vacuum'. Intergalactic space is probably as close as you can get to the real thing, but even then you'll run into an atom now and again. And even where there is absolutely no matter present, you still have quantum fluctuations so that there are virtual particles occupying the space.

As far as I know, vacuums are constantly brimming with virtual particles

Is it possible to exclude virtual particles from a vacuum location?

I don't think so. Uncle Werner would object.

Related to Nature of Vacuum: Exploring the Unknown

What is the nature of vacuum?

Vacuum is a space that is devoid of matter, including air and gas particles. It is created when all the particles are removed from a specific space, leaving behind a void.

How is vacuum created?

Vacuum can be created in various ways, such as using a vacuum pump to remove air and gas particles from a container or using a vacuum chamber to simulate the conditions of outer space.

What is the importance of studying the nature of vacuum?

Studying the nature of vacuum is crucial for understanding the fundamental principles of physics and how the universe works. It also has practical applications in technology, such as creating vacuum-sealed products and developing vacuum-based technologies.

What are the challenges of exploring the unknown in vacuum?

Exploring the unknown in vacuum presents various challenges, including the need for specialized technology and equipment, the risk of contamination, and the potential dangers of exposure to vacuum conditions for living organisms.

What are some potential discoveries that could arise from studying the nature of vacuum?

Studying the nature of vacuum could lead to new discoveries in areas such as quantum physics, cosmology, and space exploration. It could also help us better understand the origins of the universe and potentially uncover new materials and technologies.