Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nature of vacuum

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    Hi everybody,
    I am new to this site. And for this first time I want to ask your thoughts about "space - vacuum". Does anybody have any interest in this area. I mean, the question "what is empty space?" is always there and as far as I know not a complete and satisfactory answer has arosen for this subject.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

There isn't one yet. That's what all the study into string, superstring, membrane, pizza, etc. theories is about. (Okay, I made up that last one.)

4. Oct 20, 2005 #3

-Job-

Science Advisor

Given that vaccum has a given energy density, or so i've heard, one might conjecture that vaccum is the minimum density of energy necessary to have space, magnetic & eletric & gravitational fields being composed of denser energy, matter being even denser, and zero energy being no space at all.
    Perhaps one day we may make an engine that travels a given distance by using the energy in the vaccum thus eliminating space. :smile:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  5. Oct 20, 2005 #4
    but...okay, are we talking about vacuum as in what's around galaxies etc, or pure vacuum?

as far as i can tell from knowledge and guessings pure vacuum does not exist. Space vacuum temperature is about 7degrees kelvin...but if pure vacuum existed it would be absolute zero...meaning particles would have a motion equal to zero and their energy would equal zero. this means...space would still be there, but not the way we'd think.

maybe since particles do NOTHING the process of time passing will no longuer affect them, in a way slowing time for anything reaching this condition of no movement, no reaction, no energy on nothing. Maybe. i don't know.

6. Oct 26, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Primarily, this depends upon what you consider 'vacuum'. Intergalactic space is probably as close as you can get to the real thing, but even then you'll run into an atom now and again. And even where there is absolutely no matter present, you still have quantum fluctuations so that there are virtual particles occupying the space.

7. Oct 27, 2005 #6
    As far as I know, vacuums are constantly brimming with virtual particles

8. Oct 27, 2005 #7
    Is it possible to exclude virtual particles from a vacuum location?

9. Oct 28, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I don't think so. Uncle Werner would object.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?