Navigational Capabilities of Spiders in Locating Webs

• Thread starter gerigent
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of spider webs and the belief that they are formed by trailing filaments in the breeze. The speaker challenges this belief and provides evidence of webs being formed in still air and in diverse locations. They also mention reaching out to authorities for an explanation, but receiving no response. The conversation ends with a link to an animation and real-life video of spider web building.
gerigent
Dear PF,

At least 30 years ago I first noticed a characteristic of spider web location which went against the popular and scientifically supported (Sir Richard Dawkins) notion that spiders located their webs by trailing filaments in the breeze and forming the web where they stuck.

It was clear from the number of webs I observed in odd locations that spiders, even quite small ones, were capable of attaching filaments to points so diverse that it could not have been done by trailing in the breeze. Firstly, because they were in-doors in still air and also separated by distances of 10's of feet. For example, between roof beams and corners of benches beneath, and of garage walls and the roof ridges of motor cars parked within.

I have no biological education but have approached a few authorities for an explanation (Bristol University, England, UK, Natural History Museum, London, England, UK and a BBC Wildlife Expert). I have not received any reply.

I have an idea about how the spiders do it but I would appreciate it if anybody knows how it is done to illuminate my ignorance.

Biology news on Phys.org
What makes you think the filament being carried by air-disturbances does not explain the placement of spider webs? Air is definitely not still indoors.

Firstly, I thought that I had explained why I think that already, but, as many a house cleaner will have noticed, a cobweb will hang down in the same place for months. Furthermore, the air in houses IS still for all practical purposes, unless windows and doors are open or there is a high level of draughts. Smokers will have noticed how smoke forms layers and remains substantially where it is unless a door or window is opened. Further, furthermore, I have noticed complete webs across the inside of motor cars left with all doors locked and in a closed garage, such webs having horizontal top bracing filaments which positively could not have been lodged where they were by chance. There is a wealth of evidence to support my observation, including that many, many webs in the hedge row are formed across the wind direction and are also most often lodged on optimum starting points like the tips of twigs and leaves, a feature very unlikely to have occurred if left to chance in the breeze. I hope that quells your doubts.

Personal theories without acknowledged scientific studies is not allowed.

Related to Navigational Capabilities of Spiders in Locating Webs

1. How do spiders navigate to their webs?

Spiders use a variety of navigational cues to locate their webs, including visual landmarks, celestial cues such as the position of the sun or moon, and even vibrations in the air or ground.

2. Do all spiders use the same navigational cues?

No, different species of spiders may rely on different navigational cues depending on their habitat and hunting strategies. For example, orb-weaving spiders may use visual landmarks more heavily, while hunting spiders may rely more on vibrations.

3. How do spiders know where to build their webs?

Spiders have an innate ability to sense and respond to their environment. They use a combination of visual, tactile, and chemical cues to select a suitable location for their webs. These cues may include prey availability, wind direction, and temperature.

4. Can spiders adjust their navigational strategies based on changing conditions?

Yes, spiders are capable of adapting their navigational strategies to changing environmental conditions. For example, if their web is damaged or destroyed, they may use different cues to locate and rebuild a new web.

5. How accurate are spiders in locating their webs?

Spiders have highly accurate navigational abilities, especially when it comes to finding their webs. Research has shown that they can navigate back to their webs with precision, even after being displaced and returning from a different direction.

Back