Near death

Evo
Mentor
What is the closest you have come to dying?
When I was 14. I was in the hospital 3 days before I "woke up". They thought I was going to die, temperature of 105F and not responding when I was taken to the emergency room. Then again when I was 20, they were afraid to remove my gallbladder, which they thought was the problem, because my vital signs were so bad, they didn't think I would survive surgery. Then within 24 hours I was perfectly normal and the ER surgeon told me that I wasn't a normal human. :tongue2:

I've heard that's the most painful stomach problem one can have. But it's not life threatening, right?
Yeah it's life threatening, that's why the doctor got mad at me for letting it get so bad.
It's painful but I've had stomach pains that were a lot worse. I've had worse pains than that from just gas. Kidney stones, however, seem to be one of the most painful things you can go through. For me, the pain just kept getting worse and worse. I had to go to the hospital twice when I got them just so I could get some morphine. Passing the kidney stone was no problem though, I didn't even feel that. But when it's going through the ureter, I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

When I was 4(I think), I almost died choking on a magnet, luckily my mom knew the Heimlich maneuver...

DaveC426913
Gold Member
When I was 4(I think), I almost died choking on a magnet, luckily my mom knew the Heimlich maneuver...
I keep rereading this looking for a punchline.

"Luckily, my mom knew the Tesla maneuver..."

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

:rofl:

I've heard that's the most painful stomach problem one can have. But it's not life threatening, right?
Only if sepsis doesn't bother your body. Lol

drizzle
Gold Member
My wife had bought some "authentic" cajun seasoning and used it to make a hearty stew one night while I was working. The next morning, I had a big bowl of that stew for breakfast, then headed to a mill in Lincoln. I just about got to the mill and realized that I was "out of it". Apparently, a main ingredient in "authentic" cajun seasoning is MSG, and I was having a very severe reaction. Somehow, I found my way to the hospital there and got to the door of the ER. They bundled me into a wheelchair and got me to the ICU. The doctor asked why I was sick and I told her "MSG" then said "epinephrine". She asked If I had taken anything for the reaction and I told her "Benadryl" (all one-word answers - I was in sad shape). A nurse was monitoring my BP and pulse and she told the doctor my BP was dropping fast, but the doctor did nothing. Finally, the nurse hollered some impossibly-low numbers like 20 over 15 and said "Epinephrine STAT! We're losing him!) The doctor gave me a quick shot of epinephrine and (at some point) put me on a drip, but all I remember of that session was the doctor and two nurses restraining me through seemingly endless and violent convulsions. Eventually, I passed out, and only "came to" sometime in mid-afternoon. When I came around, the doctor was sitting at my bed-side and she was crying. She said "I'm SO sorry." and left me to the nurses. I have never been so sore in my whole life. I felt like every muscle in my body had been pounded with a baseball bat. They had me on all kinds of monitors for a couple more hours, and it wasn't until early evening that I was stable enough to be released.

I had an Epi-pen in my backpack, but hadn't thrown it in my car that day. That mistake (and the misfortune of being treated by a doctor that didn't think an MSG-sensitive person could die of anaphylactic shock) nearly cost me my life. It's sad that doctors are aware of anaphylactic shock with triggers like seafood, peanuts, bee-stings, etc, but can be blissfully unaware of less-common triggers and wait and do nothing while somebody is dying before their eyes. Luckily, the nurse was experienced and on her toes.

good to have you back Turbo :smile:

ps. I feel this wasn't long ago, was it?

lol yeah I know it's unusual; I liked to put things in my mouth (like all toddlers) and it just slipped in...

When I was 10, I was taking a shower and slipped. My initial reaction was to grab the towel rack, which yanked out a few ceramic tiles. When I threw my hand out to catch myself, I severed an artery near the center of my palm. I lost about a pint of blood, had to get 3 stitches in the artery and 8 in the skin of my palm, and I was anemic for almost 3 months.