New Kind of Avalanche: 9 Russian Adventurers Mysteriously Froze to Death

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
In summary, in this Ars Technica article, researchers discuss a recent study that sheds light on the mysterious deaths of nine Russian adventurers who froze to death. The study suggests that a new kind of avalanche, caused by specific conditions including a hard surface and soft, powdery snow, may have been responsible for the tragedy. This type of avalanche can occur on slopes with a minimum of 20 degrees, and in this case, the slope was 23 degrees. This new understanding challenges the previous belief that the slope needed to be at least 30 degrees for this type of avalanche to occur.
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool. My first reaction, before reading the article was skepticism regarding the claim of a "new" kind of avalanche, but indeed that is what the article details.

Likes hutchphd
When I read it, it made sense. It’s something I experienced as a kid where the snow was hard on the surface due to the winds but soft and powdery underneath.

We used to break off chunks a toss them onto the hard surface to see the piece shatter and the parts skitter away.

It never occurred to me that on an incline that a portion of the surface could break free and slide down as a kind of micro avalanche.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and collinsmark
jedishrfu said:
the snow was hard on the surface due to the winds but soft and powdery underneath.
I was once on a ski lift early watching some skiers taking a first run on a slope like that. :biggrin:

My understanding is that is not entirely a "new kind" - more like they proved known kind of avalanche could take place in the conditions present there and then.

Also that for this type of avalanche the slope was less than the 30.0 degree slope.

A minimum of 20.0 degree was needed and in the case of tragic event they described, the slope was 23.0 degrees.

Last edited:
Read that with an internal Theremin playing.

1. What caused the new kind of avalanche that killed the 9 Russian adventurers?

The cause of the new kind of avalanche that killed the 9 Russian adventurers is still unknown. It is possible that it could have been triggered by a combination of factors such as unstable weather conditions, human activity, and the terrain of the area. Further investigation and research is needed to determine the exact cause.

2. Was this a natural occurrence or could it have been caused by human interference?

It is not yet clear whether this new kind of avalanche was a natural occurrence or if human interference played a role. However, it is important to note that avalanches can be triggered by human activity, such as skiing or snowmobiling, in certain conditions. Further analysis of the area and circumstances will be required to determine the exact cause.

3. Are there any precautions that can be taken to prevent future incidents like this?

As with any natural disaster, there are precautions that can be taken to minimize the risk of such incidents. This includes avoiding high-risk areas during unstable weather conditions, educating individuals on avalanche safety and awareness, and taking necessary safety precautions while engaging in activities in avalanche-prone areas. However, it is important to note that avalanches can still occur despite these precautions.

4. What makes this avalanche different from others?

This avalanche is different from others in that it is a new kind of avalanche that has not been observed before. It is believed to have been caused by a rare combination of factors, and its unique characteristics and behavior have made it difficult to determine the cause and prevent future incidents.

5. How can scientists use this incident to further understand avalanches and improve safety measures?

This incident can provide valuable information for scientists to further understand avalanches and improve safety measures. By analyzing the circumstances and characteristics of this new kind of avalanche, scientists can gain insights into its behavior and potential triggers. This information can be used to develop more accurate warning systems and safety protocols to prevent future incidents and protect individuals in avalanche-prone areas.