Necessary But Not Sufficient Check For Addition

• Thread starter LawrenceC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary, the method works because 10 = 9 + 1, and when dividing 10 by 9, it leaves a residue of 1. The trick is to calculate the remainder modulo 9.
LawrenceC
When I was in grade school my father told me about a method of checking my addition when I added columns of numbers. I hold degrees in mechanical engineering but none of my math courses ever broached this subject as it is pretty much useless for engineering type problems.

Suppose you added three numbers, say 389+248+730. Adding correctly one gets 1367. Now let's add the digits of each number.

3+8+9=20
2+4+8=14
7+3+0=10

Now let's add the two digits of each of the previous sums.

2+0=2
1+4=5
1+0=1

Adding the result one gets

2+5+1=8

Going back to the original sum of 1367 and adding digits one gets

1+3+6+7=17

Adding the remaining two digits one gets

1+7=8

The fact that all this addition of digits produces the same final digit is a necessary condition that the addition was performed correctly.

Can someone please explain to me why this is so.

It works for any amount of numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, LawrenceC,
the trick has a postdata: if you change *any* (or all) of the digits 9's by 0's, or any (or all) of the 0's by 9's, the result is the same. If fact, you can add as many arbitrary 9's as you please at any place, without changing anything: 9 appears to behave like a 0, to all effects.

The method is based on the fact that 10 = 9 + 1; in other words, when dividing 10 by 9, it leaves a residue of 1. Residues have an arithmetic of their own: if you were to add (or multiply, for that matter) 389+248+730, and were only interested in what remains after dividing by 9 and not in the whole result, you could add just the residues of the participating numbers in order to get the residue of the result.

A number like 389, representing 3 hundreds, 8 tens and 9 units, is an arithmetic operation waiting to happen: 3x10x10 + 8x10 + 9. Now, the residue modulo 9 of the result of that operation can be found, as mentioned, by operating with the residues of the participating numbers... and so all 10's can become 1's: the residue is the same as in the operation 3x1x1 + 8x1 + 9, which is just the sum of the digits 3 + 8 + 9.

See the Wikipedia page for "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casting_out_nines" ", and ask for more if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trick is that you are calculating the remainder modulo 9.

Let's take x and y integers. We say "x=y (mod 9)" if and only if 9 divides x-y. For example, you have

[tex]0=9=18=27~(mod~9)~\text{and}~34=7~(mod~9)[/tex]

Now let [itex]a_na_{n-1}...a_2a_1a_0[/itex] be an integer. Of course we can write

[tex]a_na_{n-1}...a_2a_1a_0=a_n*10^n+a_{n-1}*10^{n-1}+...+a_2*10^2+a_1*10+a_0[/tex]

Let's calculate this (mod 9). It is obvious that [itex]10^n=1[/itex] (mod 9). Indeed: [itex]10^n-1=9999...9[/itex] which is divisible by 9. Thus

[tex]a_n*10^n+a_{n-1}*10^{n-1}+...+a_2*10^2+a_1*10+a_0 = a_n+a_{n-1}+...+a_2+a_1+a_0[/tex]

Now what you say follows immediately. Indeed, if x and y are integers and if x=x' and y=y' (mod 9), then x+y=x'+y' (mod 9).

So for example, 54 + 34 = 0+7=7 (mod 9). But on the other hand 54+34=88=7 (mod 9). The trick is of course that the sum of the digits is equal to the original number in (mod 9).

Thanks for the explanations. It has cleared the matter up for me.

LawrenceC said:
Thanks for the explanations. It has cleared the matter up for me.

and it works with multiplications too.
13*7=91 but here you don't add 13 to 7 but you mulitply 4 ( coming from 1+3 = 4 from 13 ) by 7 to get 28. Now you add the digits of the result 2+8 and it is of course equal to 9+1. But if by mistake you switch digits the sum of digits is not helpful because 13*7=19 will work too for the sum of digits.

What is a "Necessary But Not Sufficient Check For Addition"?

A "Necessary But Not Sufficient Check For Addition" is a method used in scientific experiments to determine if a particular factor is necessary for a certain outcome, but not enough on its own to cause the outcome. This helps to identify other contributing factors that may also be necessary for the outcome to occur.

How is a "Necessary But Not Sufficient Check For Addition" performed?

To perform a "Necessary But Not Sufficient Check For Addition", the factor that is suspected to be necessary is removed or blocked and the outcome is observed. If the outcome still occurs, then the factor is not necessary. However, if the outcome does not occur, then the factor is considered necessary but not sufficient.

What is the purpose of a "Necessary But Not Sufficient Check For Addition" in scientific experiments?

The purpose of a "Necessary But Not Sufficient Check For Addition" is to identify other important factors that may also contribute to a certain outcome. This helps to understand the complex relationships between different factors and their roles in causing a particular outcome.

What are the limitations of a "Necessary But Not Sufficient Check For Addition"?

One limitation of a "Necessary But Not Sufficient Check For Addition" is that it only identifies factors that are necessary, but not sufficient, for a certain outcome. It does not provide information about the strength of each factor and how they may interact with each other. Additionally, this method may not be applicable in some cases where it is not possible to remove or block a suspected factor.

Can a "Necessary But Not Sufficient Check For Addition" be used for all scientific experiments?

No, a "Necessary But Not Sufficient Check For Addition" may not be suitable for all scientific experiments. It is typically used in experiments where there are multiple factors that could potentially contribute to a particular outcome. In some cases, other methods may be more suitable for identifying necessary and sufficient factors.