Need a book for introductory thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a good introductory textbook in thermodynamics that the individual can understand with their current knowledge in physics and math. Recommendations were made for Schroeder's "An Introduction to Thermal Physics," Kestin's "A Course in Thermodynamics Vol. 1," and Fermi's "Thermodynamics." There were also mentions of Reif's "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" and Kittel and Kroemer's "Thermal Physics." The individual expressed concerns about understanding the physics behind the equations and mentioned Feynman's "Lectures on Physics" as a helpful resource.
P3X-018
I have course in thermodynamics that'll start in a few weeks. But it seems that we are just going to use notes instead of a textbook. Last time I used notes in another course I didn't understand the whole subject, because their notes where pretty poor and unclear when explaining subjects.
I only finished a course in classical mechanics (in physics), as for the math, I have basics knowledgde about calculus and linear algebra. But I'll have another math course at the same time as the thermodynamics course, where I'll learn about vector calculus and partiel diff. equations.
Now I want to ask if someone can recommend a good introductory textbook in thermodynamics, that I can understand with my current knowledge in physics and math (the aforementioned).

Physics news on Phys.org
Schroeder is the standard, it doesn't assume any math beyond your level. Reif is more careful and pedagogical, but it may be hard at your level to extract useful information from its 500 pages or so. Schroeder is more compact and focused. The other standard book is Kittel, which I know nothing about.

In thermodynamics, there are "standard" mathematical techniques used which are obscure elsewhere, so they are taught in the course itself. If you get Schroeder for instance, go to the appendices and learn about the Stirling's approximations, volume of n-dimensional spheres, simplifying very large numbers (10^23 + 10^3 = 10^23), some properties of probability and counting, and the factorial and the gamma function.

I recommend the text A Course in Thermodynamics Vol. 1 by Joseph Kestin. It's a long winded and (in some parts) outdated book, but keep reading and you're almost certain to walk away with a better knowledge of the subject than the typical undergraduate books available. It would also serve as a great supplement if you find particular concepts boggling. Check to see if it's at your university library; and if it is, whether it's right for you.

Last edited:
Due to financial reasons I can probably only afford Shroeder's book. Is it btw you were talking about Rash3? Reading the reviews it sounds like a good text.
Does the book explain the physics behind the equations, or are they just represented and the reader has to consider all the physics? Because the textbook we had in mechanics, on many occasion never explained in details the physics behind the equations, like for example stating "We define angular moment as L = rxp, and torque is defined as dL/dt", which is really something poor, and I never got the intuitive feeling about what the concept really was. Tat is until I read about the subject in the "Feynman Lectures" (well Feynman Lectures did have extraordinary explanations).
So does the book An Introduction to Thermal Physics, by Shroeder explains the "physics"?

Btw, it seems that in the last thermodynamics course had used Kittel's text, Thermal Physics, but I don't know anything about that book.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend Fermi's little book as a supplement to all these academic textbooks.

How is Kittel & Kroemer compared to these books? I know it's an old book, but the department here is still using it!

I'm not really familiar with the other books, so I can't really compare it, but I enjoyed Kittel and Kroemer. It wasn't an easy read by any means, but once I understood what they were talking about, I really felt that I *understood* what they were talking about.

A few answers at the end of the book wouldn't have killed them though.

1. What is thermodynamics and why is it important?

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It is important because it helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in natural processes, and it is the foundation for many fields of science and engineering.

2. What topics should be covered in an introductory thermodynamics book?

An introductory thermodynamics book should cover the basic principles and laws of thermodynamics, including the concepts of energy, heat, work, temperature, and entropy. It should also cover thermodynamic processes, such as adiabatic, isothermal, and isobaric processes, as well as applications of thermodynamics in engineering and everyday life.

3. Are there any real-world examples or applications of thermodynamics?

Yes, there are many real-world examples and applications of thermodynamics. For example, thermodynamics is used in the design and operation of engines, refrigerators, and power plants. It also helps us understand the behavior of materials and substances under different conditions, such as in chemical reactions and phase changes.

4. How can I effectively study thermodynamics?

To effectively study thermodynamics, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic math and physics concepts. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples to gain a deeper understanding of the principles. Additionally, engaging in discussions and asking questions can also enhance your understanding of the subject.

5. What are some common misconceptions about thermodynamics?

One common misconception is that thermodynamics only applies to systems at equilibrium. In reality, thermodynamics can be applied to systems in both equilibrium and non-equilibrium states. Another misconception is that heat and temperature are the same thing. Heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. Understanding these concepts correctly is crucial when studying thermodynamics.