1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a good book on the theories of Calculus

1. Mar 5, 2010 #1
    Okay, so I've gone through calc I - III with Stewart's Calculus... I'm happy with the book for the most part, but I want a bit more theory now. I don't care what type of book, it could be like a pop-sci book for all I care, I just want to read about the theories behind the calculus without going broke. I've been recommended Spivak's book already but I can't afford a copy for another couple of weeks and wanted to see if anyone had any cheaper suggestions...Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2
    Have you looked into Analysis by Tao?
  4. Mar 6, 2010 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Mar 6, 2010 #4
    I'm referring to both volumes. Try looking around on other website because the book is hard to find, but well worth it.
  6. Mar 6, 2010 #5
    I'll look into it. Thank you for the recommendation.
  7. Mar 8, 2010 #6
    I'm going through Tom Apostol's Calculus volume 1 by myself and it's very rigorous and theory based. It really fills in all the mathematical whys behind Stewart's Book.

You can find a used book for cheap or download a torrent of the book (there are many out there).
  8. Mar 8, 2010 #7
    Solution: Internet!

There are so much elementary analysis sources on the web that an actual text is unnecessary.

Example: http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~wchen/ln.html

A google search on "real analysis pdf" should be sufficient
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook