Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a good book on the theories of Calculus

1. Mar 5, 2010 #1
    Okay, so I've gone through calc I - III with Stewart's Calculus... I'm happy with the book for the most part, but I want a bit more theory now. I don't care what type of book, it could be like a pop-sci book for all I care, I just want to read about the theories behind the calculus without going broke. I've been recommended Spivak's book already but I can't afford a copy for another couple of weeks and wanted to see if anyone had any cheaper suggestions...Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2
    Have you looked into Analysis by Tao?

4. Mar 6, 2010 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Mar 6, 2010 #4
    I'm referring to both volumes. Try looking around on other website because the book is hard to find, but well worth it.

6. Mar 6, 2010 #5
    I'll look into it. Thank you for the recommendation.

7. Mar 8, 2010 #6
    I'm going through Tom Apostol's Calculus volume 1 by myself and it's very rigorous and theory based. It really fills in all the mathematical whys behind Stewart's Book.

You can find a used book for cheap or download a torrent of the book (there are many out there).

8. Mar 8, 2010 #7
    Solution: Internet!

There are so much elementary analysis sources on the web that an actual text is unnecessary.

Example: http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~wchen/ln.html

A google search on "real analysis pdf" should be sufficient

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook