Finding Horizontal Asymptote for f(x)=(2x-5)/(x^2-4): Calculus Help

• Thread starter ashleyk
  • Start date
In summary, the horizontal asymptote of the function f(x)=(2x-5)/(x^2-4) is y=0. To find this, the numerator and denominator are divided by 1/x^2, and the limit is evaluated. This results in the numerator approaching 0 and the denominator approaching 1, leading to a horizontal asymptote at y=0.
ashleyk
Let f(x)= (2x-5)/(x^2-4)

I need help on finding the horizontal asymptote. I have already found the vertical. (I realize this doesn't really involve calculus but I already did other part of the problem that involved a derivative)

Physics news on Phys.org
the horizontal asymptote is

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{2x - 5}{x^2 -4} = 0[/tex]

The horizontal asymptote is

[tex] y = 0 [/tex]

when the power in the denominator is larger than the numerator, you have a horizontal asymptote at y = 0.

The general idea is to multiply the numerator and denominator by the inverse of x raised to the largest power of the denominator. Then, evaluate the limit.

ya divide the numeraator & denominator by (1/x^2) & get that the numerator --> 0 as x --> infinity, and the denominator --> 1 or something. so the horizontal asymptote is y=0

1. How can "Need a little more help" benefit me?

"Need a little more help" can provide you with additional assistance or support in areas where you may be struggling. It can help you achieve your goals more efficiently and effectively, and ultimately lead to a better understanding and mastery of the subject.

2. Who can benefit from "Need a little more help"?

"Need a little more help" can benefit anyone who is looking for extra support in a particular subject or topic. It can be useful for students, professionals, or anyone seeking to improve their understanding or skills in a specific area.

3. How does "Need a little more help" differ from traditional methods of learning?

"Need a little more help" offers a more personalized and targeted approach to learning. It can be tailored to meet the specific needs of the individual and can provide more focused and individualized support compared to traditional methods such as lectures or textbooks.

4. What types of resources are available through "Need a little more help"?

"Need a little more help" can offer a variety of resources such as one-on-one tutoring, online courses, study guides, practice exercises, and more. These resources are designed to supplement your existing learning methods and provide additional support and guidance.

5. How do I know if "Need a little more help" is right for me?

If you are struggling in a particular subject or topic and feel that you could benefit from additional assistance, "Need a little more help" may be a good option for you. It is important to assess your individual needs and goals and determine if the resources and support offered by "Need a little more help" align with them.