Need an formula/equation for this scenario

• Thread starter gwanun
  • Start date
In summary, a formula is a mathematical expression that relates different variables, while an equation shows the equality between two expressions. To determine which formula or equation to use, identify the given information and what you are trying to solve for. You can use multiple formulas or equations in one problem as long as they are interconnected and relevant. To check the validity of your formula or equation, perform a simple test with known values or consult with a math expert. You can create your own formula or equation for a specific scenario, but it should follow mathematical principles and be validated with known values.
gwanun

Homework Statement

I invest 600 every year for 8% compound interest
for etc. first yr 600* 1.08= 648

2nd yr
600+648= 1248
1248*1.08= 1347.84

3rd yr
1347.84+600=1947.84
1947*1.08=2102.74

and so on

Homework Equations

compounded interest formula is

P is the principal (the money you start with, your first deposit)

r is the annual rate of interest as a decimal (5% means r = 0.05)

n is the number of years you leave it on deposit

A is how much money you've accumulated after n years, including interest.

If the interest is compounded once a year:

A = P(1 + r)power of n

The Attempt at a Solution

i attempted A= nP(1+r)power of n

but there's some difference in the answers I am getting

please help correct my formula

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm i got it

P = sum deposited at the end of each year (beginning one year from when the annuity "starts")

r = the interest rate, as a decimal (5%, for example, is r = 0.05)

n = number of years the annuity has run

N = total amount accumulated at the end of n years.

N = (P/r)( (1 + r)n - 1)

Your formula is close, but there are a few errors. The correct formula for compound interest is:

A = P(1 + r)^n

Where:

A = amount accumulated after n years
P = principal (initial investment)
r = annual interest rate (as a decimal)
n = number of years

In your attempt, you are using n as the principal and adding the principal to the accumulated amount each year, which is incorrect. Also, remember to use the same units for the interest rate and time (e.g. if the interest rate is given as 8% per year, n should be in years as well). So for this scenario, the correct formula would be:

A = 600(1 + 0.08)^n

Where n is the number of years (starting with n=1 for the first year).

Using this formula, the answers should match with the ones you provided in the homework statement.

1. What is the difference between a formula and an equation?

A formula is a mathematical expression that shows the relationship between different variables. An equation is a statement that shows the equality between two expressions. In simpler terms, a formula is used to calculate a value, while an equation is used to solve for an unknown variable.

2. How do I know which formula or equation to use for a specific scenario?

To determine which formula or equation to use, you need to identify the given information and what you are trying to solve for. Then, you can refer to a mathematical formula sheet or consult with a math expert to find the relevant formula or equation for your scenario.

3. Can I use multiple formulas or equations in one problem?

Yes, you can use multiple formulas or equations in one problem as long as they are interconnected and relevant to the given scenario. However, it is important to use them correctly and to keep track of your variables and units to avoid errors.

4. How do I know if my formula or equation is correct?

You can check the validity of your formula or equation by performing a simple test using known values. Plug in the values into the formula or equation and see if you get the expected result. Additionally, you can also use online calculators or consult with a math expert to verify your solution.

5. Can I create my own formula or equation for a specific scenario?

Yes, you can create your own formula or equation for a specific scenario as long as it follows the rules and principles of mathematics. However, it is important to validate your formula or equation using known values and to clearly define your variables and units for others to understand and use it correctly.