Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Need for Lorentz transformation in pre-relativity period

1. Jan 23, 2017 #1
    What was the need for Lorentz transformation in pre-relativity period?

Why was it necessary for the velocity of light to be invariant between different inertial frames and hence what was the need for Lorentz transformation when it was believed that velocity of light was constant with respect to aether. Was Lorentz transformation build in order to explain the null result of Michelson-Morley experiment?

What goes wrong if Maxwell's equations are not invariant under a transformation? What is the need for necessarily making Maxwell's equations invariant by introducing Lorentz transformation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you google a bit ?

[edit] looked at your other post and found what you are doing. Hats off !

I hope my reply wasn't too flippant and you indeed hadn't found this piece of history. Found it and its companion via Lorentz

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  4. Jan 23, 2017 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It is an intrinsic mathematical property of Maxwell's equations, that they are invariant under Lorentz transformations. This property has been contained in the equations ever since Maxwell put them in their final form with his addition to Ampere's Law, even though Maxwell himself did not know about it!

If Maxwell's equations were not invariant under Lorentz transformations, they would not be Maxwell's equations as he knew them (and as we know them).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted