Need formula to relate distance to arcsec in the sky

  • Thread starter Thread starter leonne
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula Sky
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
leonne
Messages
163
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need to find how long it will take a supernova explosion to be a size of one arc sec here on earth, the distance to this explosion is 50 kilparsec


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Any clue on what the formula is?
thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
leonne said:

Homework Statement


I need to find how long it will take a supernova explosion to be a size of one arc sec here on earth, the distance to this explosion is 50 kilparsec

Wiki defines the kiloparsec at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec so you can get the circumference at 50 kpc using Pi*d. Then divide by 360 to get degrees, 60 to get minutes, and 60 again to get seconds.
 
hmm, don't think that will help me I need to find how big the explosion needs to be to see 1 arc sec. With the radius, than i can calculate the time. I found this formula D=H/2tan(a) , but don't think it will work. either hmm. Well if I solve for H would that be the true diameter of the explosion?
Well thanks for the help
 
Have you tried drawing a diagram to see what the geometry of the situation is?

Things to keep in mind for very small angles: θ ≈ sin(θ) ≈ tan(θ).

You're looking for the time it takes "a supernova explosion to be a size of one arc sec [as seen] here on earth". What were you planning on using for the expansion rate of the supernova debris?
 
hey,
well i remembered using a formula last semester to find something similar, but forgot what the formula was. I found what the velocity was in part 1.
 
leonne said:
hey,
well i remembered using a formula last semester to find something similar, but forgot what the formula was. I found what the velocity was in part 1.

The shockwave of a supernova propagates at approximately the speed of light. I would suspect that's visible.
 
well we where told that ...ejected mass of 20 solar mass.