Need guidance about interdisciplinary degrees/programs

In summary, the individual has a Bachelor's degree in Electronic Engineering and is currently pursuing a Master's degree in energy science and engineering with a focus on semiconductor photo-devices and a minor in galvanic energy conversion and storage. They are interested in pursuing a Master's thesis in electrochemical conversion and storage, but are unsure if they are eligible to apply to Chemistry/Physics PhD programs due to their interdisciplinary background. They are motivated to gain knowledge and would prefer a career in academia. They have published papers in a chemical journal, but are open to taking additional coursework to meet any requirements. It is suggested that they look into Applied Physics
DLX
Hello all,

This is my first post here but I read these forums a lot as a lurker. I have a Bachelor's degree in Electronic Engineering and am currently pursuing master's in energy science and engineering from an interdisciplinary department. Based on the electives I have taken, I will be specializing in semiconductor photo-devices (PV cells and PV systems including power plants) and having a minor in galvanic energy conversion and storage devices (batteries/fuel cells etc.). I have also studied to limited extent other forms of renewable energy and solar thermal systems.

I currently intend to pursue my master's thesis in the fields of electrochemical conversion and storage (materials characterization and device testing). I am quite interested and motivated to pursue this and would like to consider further studies. Currently, I am doing the thesis work at a chemistry department and it is interesting to see the shifts in viewpoint and synergies between physics and chemistry. However, it appears that in fields like this there is no clear distinction between physics, chemistry or even engineering as research seems to be going on in either of the departments. I have had no qualms about studying "extra" (in fact, between my bachelor's and master's I have covered nearly the entire physics undergraduate curriculum except for advanced quantum and statistical mechanics (have studied basic courses in both), nuclear physics and classical mechanics). I have also had minor subjects in chemical thermodynamics, electrochemistry and surface chemistry as electives.

I wish to study further, but I wish to know if someone of my credentials can apply to chemistry/physics PhD programs because I do not have an outright degree in either of those. It appears most work in semiconductor devices are in physics departments (a little bit in chemistry) and electrochemical work is in chemistry departments (I am currently working in a chemistry department). I *may* be able to manage entrance tests in physics, but not in chemistry as my exposure to chemistry is via physical chemistry (or chemical physics) only. Should I just avoid pursuing work in electrochemical technology altogether? Will doing that "lock" me to chemistry (which is really not my strong suit)?

I am not sure of the career options I will have or how my resume will be viewed, as by now I have done a huge branch shift from my initial degree in electronic engineering to this. Is multidisciplinary knowledge viewed as a plus in academic community?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the world of research! It often knows no bounds, and thus the need for interdisciplinary studies.

My recommendation is that you look into Applied Physics programs (e.g., http://www-applied.physics.lsa.umich.edu/ ), or else a straight engineering program.

Often the GRE is the only test requirement; your detailed knowledge is not tested until you take the qualifying exams, usually at the start of the second year. In many cases these are orals, so they will probe your understanding.

You will also want to decide if your intent is to pursue an academic career, or industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
^Thank you for the response. I don't have qualms about working either in industry or in academia - the main motivation for me is to gain knowledge, money is secondary though I need to have enough to live a somewhat simplistic yet decent life :) . In that sense, I would rather prefer academia as I feel it would benefit me more as I would have more opportunity to keep learning things. I do not mind teaching per se either but I must say I have not had experience of being a TA.

Can I apply to Chemistry programs as well? And in engineering there again is a split between different departments for this kind of work. I wish to know, if I have published some papers in, for example, a chemical journal, does it not count favourably if I am applying to graduate school in physics (and vice versa)? Or does any and all experience count in such things?

I am not daunted by the prospect of additional coursework to be honest. I just need to know if I am eligible, because in my country a person of my qualification cannot teach/work in engineering or chemistry but only in physics (so, this extends also to grad schools).

I do feel that Applied Physics departments would be best for me, however, I also feel such departments seem to be less in number than "pure" science departments.

UltrafastPED said:
Welcome to the world of research! It often knows no bounds, and thus the need for interdisciplinary studies.

I find it extremely interesting to be honest. People often ask me here how I managed to do electrochemical and thermochemical work with my background in Electronics, but nothing is impossible, I just started the coursework from scratch again and did it :) I personally do not find "pure" sciences and strict adherence to any single branch to be stimulating and interesting but greatly find interest in applied and mixed research :)

Last edited:
Insofar as publishing and its effect on graduate admissions, I don't think programs are quite as parochial as in your example. The idea of research experience is that Ph.D. programs can see you have been exposed to substantive scientific research, and not just merely taken coursework. Any sort of reasonable research background in the natural sciences or engineering should demonstrate that fairly well.

With regards to chemistry Ph.D. programs - at least for those in the U.S., you might face an uphill battle in terms of admission. (My impression for doctoral degrees elsewhere have you knowing your advisor and project when you start, so you're admitted to work with that person in his/her research group). There's generally some expectation you have some exposure/experience in the major areas of chemistry before starting, of which organic chemistry (and, increasingly, biological chemistry nowadays) is included. Based on your description of your experience and education to date, it would seem you don't quite match up well here. While it might be possible to convince a department to admit you provisionally while you demonstrate competence in that area, it is - as I like to say - better to continue being exceptional but not the exception. :)

My broken record plays again - there are graduate programs in chemical physics where you might be a more likely admit, or perhaps an even better fit for a materials science & engineering program/department, in addition to the applied physics route you've already mentioned.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for the advice. I will try for Chemical Physics and Applied Physics departments, and put MSE third in that list.

I am sorry to bump this thread, but I would like some further advice.

I have so far worked on a small project on thermochemical water splitting. It was mostly thermodynamic calculations and I didn't really have an issue doing it. Now, the lab wants me to also work on a lithium ion battery project. While I am interested, there is a small issue based on the preliminary material I have been given to start the work. It appears I do not have the chemistry knowledge required (i.e. I know little about intercalation or bother little about ionic radius ratios, for example), nor do I actually know the chemistry of the lithium ion battery, though I know the physics of it (charge/discharge profiles, conductivity measurements, charge transport phenomena, electrochemical things, series/parallel connections etc.).

I wish to know if there is any good starting material/textbook anyone can recommend for a quick primer on the basic construction and details of the lithium ion battery that will get me up to speed with the chemistry part of it. While I am quite certain that the group is aware of my background as a mixed engineering/physics grad, I wish to try and self-study as much as possible before the actual start of the project.

I thank anyone who reads this again.

Mike H said:
Insofar as publishing and its effect on graduate admissions, I don't think programs are quite as parochial as in your example. The idea of research experience is that Ph.D. programs can see you have been exposed to substantive scientific research, and not just merely taken coursework. Any sort of reasonable research background in the natural sciences or engineering should demonstrate that fairly well.

With regards to chemistry Ph.D. programs - at least for those in the U.S., you might face an uphill battle in terms of admission. (My impression for doctoral degrees elsewhere have you knowing your advisor and project when you start, so you're admitted to work with that person in his/her research group). There's generally some expectation you have some exposure/experience in the major areas of chemistry before starting, of which organic chemistry (and, increasingly, biological chemistry nowadays) is included. Based on your description of your experience and education to date, it would seem you don't quite match up well here. While it might be possible to convince a department to admit you provisionally while you demonstrate competence in that area, it is - as I like to say - better to continue being exceptional but not the exception. :)

My broken record plays again - there are graduate programs in chemical physics where you might be a more likely admit, or perhaps an even better fit for a materials science & engineering program/department, in addition to the applied physics route you've already mentioned.

To conclude this thread, I would like to state that I have gotten admission into a Materials Science Ph.D. program. I thank you all for your guidance and support. :)

1. What is an interdisciplinary degree/program?

An interdisciplinary degree/program is one that combines multiple disciplines or fields of study into a single degree or program. It allows students to explore a variety of subjects and gain a more well-rounded education.

2. How is an interdisciplinary degree/program different from a traditional degree?

An interdisciplinary degree/program differs from a traditional degree in that it combines multiple disciplines into one program, whereas a traditional degree focuses solely on one subject area. Interdisciplinary programs also typically require students to take courses from a variety of departments, rather than just one.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing an interdisciplinary degree/program?

There are many benefits to pursuing an interdisciplinary degree/program. It allows students to gain a broad understanding of multiple subjects, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and make connections between different disciplines. It can also make graduates more competitive in the job market, as they have a diverse set of skills and knowledge.

4. How do I know if an interdisciplinary degree/program is right for me?

If you are interested in exploring various subjects and have a passion for learning, an interdisciplinary degree/program may be a good fit for you. It is also beneficial for those who are unsure of what specific field they want to pursue, as it allows for more flexibility and exposure to different disciplines.

5. Are there any potential challenges or drawbacks to pursuing an interdisciplinary degree/program?

While there are many benefits to pursuing an interdisciplinary degree/program, there can also be challenges. It may require more time and effort to balance coursework from multiple disciplines, and some students may find it difficult to switch between different modes of thinking. Additionally, some employers may not be familiar with or understand the value of an interdisciplinary degree/program, so it may require extra effort to explain its significance in a job interview.