Need Help [Discrete math / Algorithms]

In summary, the speaker is struggling with a class that involves analyzing code and finding big theta, which is based on discrete math. After realizing they need help, they are searching for additional resources, particularly a book with a step-by-step approach to solving sample problems. They have already purchased An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning by Peter J Eccles, but are open to more suggestions.
Servo888
Quick Summary: I'm in a class were we analyze code / find big theta / Oh / etc (Algorithm Design and Analysis). It's based on discrete math, which I'm terrible at. After posting Tired of Discrete Math... I have come to the conclusion that I will be needing some help figuring out a way to pass the class successfully.

Right now I'm trying to locate books or anything really that would get me to understand the material better. The book we are using is called Foundations of Algorithms using Java Pseudocode, by Richard Neaplitan. I really need something that will have a step-by-step (hold-your-hand type thing) process that will walk you through sample problems. So far I've purchased An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning by Peter J Eccles, as many people recommended the book.

Any more suggestions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

1. What is discrete math and why is it important for algorithms?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with objects that can only take on distinct, separated values. It is important for algorithms because it provides the foundational concepts and tools for analyzing and designing algorithms that are efficient, correct, and scalable.

2. How can discrete math help me with problem-solving in computer science?

Discrete math provides the necessary tools for analyzing and solving problems that involve discrete structures, such as graphs, trees, and sets. Many algorithms and data structures in computer science rely on discrete math concepts, making it an essential tool for problem-solving in this field.

3. What are some common algorithms that use discrete math?

Some common algorithms that use discrete math include sorting algorithms, graph traversal algorithms, and dynamic programming algorithms. These algorithms are used in a wide range of applications, from search engines to data analysis to artificial intelligence.

4. How can I improve my understanding of discrete math and algorithms?

Practice is key to improving understanding in any subject, and discrete math and algorithms are no exception. It is important to actively work on problems and exercises, as well as to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online courses, or study groups.

5. Are there any real-world applications of discrete math and algorithms?

Yes, there are numerous real-world applications of discrete math and algorithms. Some examples include network optimization, cryptography, data compression, and machine learning. These applications are used in many industries, including finance, healthcare, and technology.