Which Discrete Math Textbook Should I Choose?

In summary, one recommendation for a Discrete math book is "Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics - An Applied Introduction" by Ralph P. Grimaldi. Another option is "Concrete Mathematics - A Foundation for Computer Science" by Donald Knuth et al, which incorporates concepts from calculus but may require a review of series and sequences. "Discrete Mathematical Structures" by G. Rao Shankar is also a good choice for a more rigorous treatment of common topics in discrete mathematics. Popular books like Rosen and Epps may be too long-winded for a quick introduction. Overall, "Discrete Mathematics" by Gary Chartrand et al. is recommended for an easier introduction to the subject.
Geo_Zegarra2018
Hi everyone,

I'm helping my professor pick out a new Discrete math book. He has been using Discrete Mathematical Structures 6th Kolman for at least 4+ years. He's on the search of finding one, but hasn't been successful with it. I was wondering what kind of textbook you would recommend. I will taking this class in Fall 2016!

Here's the description of the course:
This course introduces mathematical systems. Topics include methods of proof, sets, logic, functions, relations, graphs, trees, and algebraic systems. Prerequisite: MA151 Calculus 1. (Fall Semester only)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics - An Applied Introduction, Ralph P. Grimaldi
Concrete Mathematics - A Foundation for Computer Science, Donald Knuth et al.
Discrete Mathematical Structures, G. Rao Shankar

They treat the common topics in discrete mathematics (combinatorics, basic probability, graph theory, etc.) rigorously and contain very excellent sets of problems. I especially think Grimaldi's book will be a good introduction for both the discrete mathematics and an introduction to proofs since he assume little to no background in the proof skill from the students and teach it from the beginning. Knuth and Rao are also excellent textbooks which I recommend if professor is more of hand-holding type as they are quite difficult to read but full of insights. Knuth's book incorporates the concepts from calculus but I think the professor must review the basic concepts of series and sequences if he choose that book.

I know there are popular books like Rosen and Epps, but I feel like both books are very long-winded and not to the point in a quick manner. If you are looking for an easier introduction to the discrete mathematics, Discrete Mathematics by Gary Chartrand et al. is very good choice (he is also an expert in the graph theory and its textbooks).

1. What makes this new discrete math textbook different from others?

This textbook incorporates modern applications of discrete math, such as cryptography and machine learning, while also providing a strong foundation in traditional topics.

2. Is the content in this textbook up-to-date?

Yes, this textbook is regularly updated to reflect the latest developments in discrete math and its applications.

3. Does the textbook include practical examples and exercises?

Yes, there are numerous real-world examples and exercises throughout the textbook to help students apply the concepts they are learning.

4. Is this textbook suitable for beginners in discrete math?

Yes, this textbook is designed for students with little to no background in discrete math. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them.

5. Are there online resources available to supplement the textbook?

Yes, the textbook comes with access to online resources such as interactive quizzes, practice problems, and additional explanations to further enhance student learning.