Need Help Drawing a Free Body Diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 1000kg car pushing a 2000kg truck with a 4500 N force from the drive wheels of the car. The use of Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws is mentioned, and the free body diagrams for both the car and truck are discussed.
JoshMP

Homework Statement

A 1000kg car pushed a 2000kg truck. When the driver steps on the accelerator, the drive wheels of the car push against the ground with a force of 4500 N. What is the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck? What is the magnitude of the truck on the car?

Homework Equations

Newton's 2nd and 3rd Laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve the problem once I know what the free body diagram looks like. I don't understand what to do with the 4500 N force. The problem states that 4500 N are "pushing against the ground." Does that mean I should a 4500 N force pointing in the same direction as gravity? Or does this force point in the direction of motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
drive wheels of the car push against the ground with a force of 4500 N
That is too small to be the force of gravity. It must be half of Newton's 3rd law for making the car accelerate:
"The car pushed back on the road with 4500 N so the road pushed forward on the car with an equal and opposite force."

So for the car, the free body diagram has gravity pointing down, normal force pointing up, 4000N pointing in the direction of motion, and the force from the truck pushing back on the car pointing in the opposite direction of motion.

For the truck, gravity pointing down, normal force pointing up, and the force from the car pointing in the direction of motion.

Are these correct?

That looks right - carry on!

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a simplified visual representation of an object or system, showing all the external forces acting on it. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and solve problems involving forces.

2. Why do I need to draw a free body diagram?

Drawing a free body diagram helps to visualize and understand the forces acting on an object, which is essential for solving problems involving forces. It also helps to identify any missing or incorrect information and ensure that all forces are accounted for in the problem.

3. What are the key elements of a free body diagram?

The key elements of a free body diagram include the object or system being analyzed, all the external forces acting on it (such as gravity, applied forces, and normal forces), and the direction and magnitude of each force represented by arrows.

4. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by identifying the object or system being analyzed and all the external forces acting on it. Then, draw a labeled and proportional arrow representing each force, with the direction and magnitude indicated. Finally, make sure all the forces are correctly labeled and accounted for.

5. What is the purpose of labeling the forces in a free body diagram?

Labeling the forces in a free body diagram is important because it helps to clearly indicate the direction and magnitude of each force. It also allows for easier identification and organization of the forces, making it easier to solve problems involving multiple forces acting on an object or system.