Need help getting formula for volume of any tree log.

In summary: Your formula for the radius at x is correct, although it may be a little vague without specifying the variables. The cross section of the tree at a given x will be a disk with radius y, and the volume of each disk can be calculated using the equation pi*y^2*dx. By taking the limit as dx goes to 0 and summing up all the disks, you can find the integral for the volume of the tree log. Overall, your formula is a valid and accurate way to find the volume of any tree log using integration.
alexf322

Homework Statement

For calc 2 we have to write a formula using integration that will find the volume of any tree log that is cut. Using the picture that is attacked I came up with this equation. The integral from 0 to h of pi*(((R-r/h)x+r))^2)dx. Any ideas about my formula or anything would be appreciated. Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Tree Log.png
    Tree Log.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
If that formula is the radius at x then it looks correct, if a little vague.

Your equation, y= ((R-r)/h)x+ r, is vague because there is no "x" nor "y" in your picture. I presume you mean y to be the radius of the tree at distance x from the large end. If that is what is meant, yes, when x= 0, that is y= 0+ r= r and when x= h, y= R- r+ r= R. And you are assuming that the radius is a linear function of x.

Now, at a given x, a cross section will be a disk with radius h. That disk has area [itex]\pi y^2[/itex] and so a disk with thickness "dx" will have volume "area times thickness"= [itex]\pi y^2 dx= \pi ([(R-r)/r]x+ r)^2)dx[/itex].

The approximate volume would be a sum of such things, a "Rieman sum", and the limit, as the thickness goes to 0 will be the integral
[tex]\pi \int_{x=0}^h (((R-r)/r)x+ r)^2 dx= \pi \int_{x=0}^h \left[\left(\frac{R-r}{r}\right)^2x^2+ 2(R-r)x+ r^2\right] dx[/tex]

alexf322 said:

Homework Statement

For calc 2 we have to write a formula using integration that will find the volume of any tree log that is cut. Using the picture that is attacked I came up with this equation. The integral from 0 to h of pi*(((R-r/h)x+r))^2)dx. Any ideas about my formula or anything would be appreciated. Thanks
Yes, it looks perfectly fine.

1. How do I calculate the volume of a tree log?

To calculate the volume of a tree log, you will need to measure the length, width, and height of the log. Then, use the formula V = L x W x H, where V is the volume, L is the length, W is the width, and H is the height.

2. Can I use the same formula for any type of tree log?

Yes, the formula V = L x W x H can be used to calculate the volume of any type of tree log as long as you have accurate measurements for the length, width, and height.

3. Is there a more accurate formula for calculating the volume of a tree log?

There are other formulas that can be used to calculate the volume of a tree log, such as the cylinder volume formula (V = π x r^2 x H), but the basic formula (V = L x W x H) will provide a good estimate of the volume.

4. How can I measure the length, width, and height of a tree log?

To measure the length, use a measuring tape or ruler to measure from one end of the log to the other. For the width, measure the diameter of the log at its widest point. To measure the height, you can use a measuring tape or estimate by counting the number of rings on the end of the log and multiplying by the average height of each ring.

5. Can I use the volume formula for a tree log that is not a perfect cylinder?

The volume formula (V = L x W x H) can be used for any shape of tree log, but it will provide the most accurate results for logs that are roughly cylindrical in shape. For logs with irregular shapes, it may be best to use the cylinder volume formula (V = π x r^2 x H) or consult a more advanced formula specific to the log's shape.