1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[NEED HELP !] Linear Systems Calculations

1. Jun 27, 2011 #1
    Hi guys/gals,

First post here - in need of some desperate last minute help. Today is my last day to study and I will have my final exam tommorow. I've been doing past papers all day, and there a few questions I have no idea/never seen before in my course material.

x59nqu.jpg
    Part (c) I have no idea what to do. I know I need to convert the 4sqrt2 into Cartesian, but I have no idea how...

Part (d) I'm very close to getting, but I end up getting -cos^2(theta) + (-1) sin^2(theta) = 0

Part (e) is related to part (d), so I'm not too sure at the moment.

n5skg1.jpg
    I know that there is the rule that when there is a matrix A, A1v1=A2v2. However, these eigenvalues are imaginary, so how do I calculate the eigenvectors?

ffbywg.jpg
    In a)i) of this question, I calculated -1/2 and -1 as the values of M (i.e. when you let Un=kM^n). I just want to double check these are correct, and also would like somebody to guide me in part ii). I have no idea how to calculate this using the results of part i)

MANY MANY MANY thanks to whoever is able to help me out here. I think I may have already failed 1 subject this semster, and do not want to make it 2.

Cheers,

EDIT- extremely sorry for the image size, I don't know how to re-frame it. it's a photo from my phone haha

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

For the resizing thing, if you upload to imageshack there is an option for it.

First image:

c)the 4√2 is just a constant, so when you put eiπ/4 into cartesian form, you would multiply it by 4√2.

d) If you consider z1z2 in polar form you will get r2 right? So just expand z1z2 in cartesian form and then put that equal to r2 [z1 is the z in the question and z2 is its conjugate]

e) Well you want to find sin5θ, so consider expanding (cosθ+isinθ)5 (which is equak to cos5θ+isin5θ by De Moivre's theorem) and equate real and imaginary parts.

I am not too well versed on the topics in the second and third images, so I can't really help you there.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  4. Jun 28, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the response. I think I get it a little better now.

Any takers for 2nd+3rd image?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook