Need help to propulse a small bolid

• Thread starter lmacintosh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a propulsion system for a bolid project, which is a type of vehicle measuring approximately 6 per 12 inches. The design is acceptable, but the system should not be too powerful and should be easy to build. Suggestions include using a small CO2 cannister or an Estes rocket. The use of CO2 cans is cautioned due to their potential danger.
lmacintosh
I have some kind of bolid project (around 6 per 12 inches). The design is ok but I need to find a propulsion system.
This system doesn't have to be powerfull ; only 8 meters to traverse.

I have taken some physics courses, but I'm not an engineer and this have to be relatively easy to build

Thanks for your suggestions !

Engineering news on Phys.org
What exactly is a bolid? Is it some sort of vehicle? If so, then read the following text. If not, ignore everything I said.

A small CO2 cannister will work, though I'd recommend you have someone qualified to supervise your integration of the can into your bolid.

Mind that CO2 cans should be considered highly dangerous. If I recall correctly, a student who was experimenting with them blew his hand off, literally and painfully.

A second option would be a small Estes rocket, probably of the A-type.

Bene fortuna.

Sure, I'd be happy to help with your bolid project! There are a few different options for propulsion systems that you could consider. One option could be using a small motor or engine with a propeller attached, similar to how a boat moves through water. This would require some additional components such as a battery or fuel source, but could be relatively easy to build with some basic mechanical knowledge.

Another option could be using compressed air to propel your bolid. This could be achieved by building a simple air tank and using a valve to release the air in a controlled manner, creating thrust. This would not require a motor or fuel, but may require some experimentation to find the right amount of air pressure and release rate for your bolid's size and weight.

You could also consider using a rubber band or spring system to provide propulsion. This would involve winding up the rubber band or spring and releasing it to create a burst of energy for your bolid to move forward. This could be a simple and cost-effective option, but may require some trial and error to find the right tension and release mechanism.

Ultimately, the best propulsion system will depend on your specific design and materials available. I would recommend doing some research and experimenting with different options to see what works best for your bolid. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a small bolid?

A small bolid is a compact and streamlined object designed for rapid movement or propulsion. It can refer to a variety of objects, such as a rocket, a car, or even a small projectile.

2. What does it mean to propulse a bolid?

Propulsion is the act of providing force to an object in order to move it forward. In the case of a small bolid, this usually involves using some sort of engine or power source to generate the necessary thrust for movement.

3. What are some methods for propulsing a small bolid?

There are several methods for propulsing a small bolid, including using a rocket engine, a jet engine, or an electric motor. The specific method will depend on the type of bolid and its intended use.

4. How much force is needed to propulse a small bolid?

The amount of force needed to propulse a small bolid can vary greatly depending on the size, weight, and design of the object. It is important to carefully calculate and test the amount of force needed to ensure safe and efficient propulsion.

5. Are there any safety considerations when propulsing a small bolid?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when propulsing a small bolid. These may include ensuring proper fuel or power sources, following safety protocols during testing and operation, and taking precautions to prevent accidents or malfunctions.