Need help understanding relative motion and frame of references

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in understanding some concepts related to math and physics. They mention feeling only partially understanding and ask for websites or links to assist them. They also mention being a math major planning to double major in physics. They request brief explanations and an example question to further clarify their understanding.
PhysicsKid0123
Okay guys, I still feel like I don't quite understand these concepts well enough. Do you guys have any websites or links to help me understand these concepts better? I feel like I only partially understand these concepts. I also feel like I partially understand the application of the mathematics to the corresponding physics - not the mathematics itself (I am a math major going to double major in physics soon). If you can give me brief explanations about these things, that would also be great appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post up an example of a question that's giving you that queasy feeling that you're only partially understanding the concepts? That will give us something to sink our teeth into.

What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object or frame of reference. It takes into account the perspective of the observer and the chosen point of reference.

What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a set of coordinate axes used to describe the motion or position of an object. It can be a point in space or a physical object that is used as a reference point.

How do you determine the velocity of an object in relative motion?

The velocity of an object in relative motion is determined by calculating its speed and direction with respect to a chosen frame of reference. This can be done using mathematical equations such as the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions.

What is the difference between relative motion and absolute motion?

Relative motion takes into account the perspective of the observer and the chosen frame of reference, while absolute motion refers to the actual movement of an object without considering any external factors. In other words, relative motion is relative to a chosen point of reference, while absolute motion is measured with respect to an absolute standard.

Why is understanding relative motion important in science?

Understanding relative motion is important in science because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the movement of objects in relation to their surroundings. It is essential in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering where precise measurements and calculations are necessary.