Need help understanding the proof of Thevenin's theorem

In summary, Thevenin's theorem can be proven by replacing the load with an independent current source in the equation V = Vth + I*Rth. This method may not be a formal proof, but it is a valid way of proving the theorem. Alternatively, the substitution theorem can also be used to prove Thevenin's theorem.
Pedro Cardoso
Hello.
Uh, I'm trying to undestand how to prove Thevenin's theorem. The Sadiku book puts an independent current source where the load used to be in order to reach the equation: V = Vth + I*Rth. I do understand how he reaches that conclusion after putting the source, what I don't understand is why he can put that current source where the load was. Could someone explain to me that? I'm not sure if that is a formal proof, but it is a correct way of proving it, then I wish to learn it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nevermind, you prove it by using the substitution theorem...

What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states any linear, active circuit can be reduced to an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistance in series. This simplified circuit is called the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

Can you explain the proof of Thevenin's theorem?

The proof of Thevenin's theorem is based on the concept of superposition, which states that the total response of a linear circuit is equal to the sum of the responses caused by each individual source. Using this concept, the proof involves replacing the original circuit with a test voltage source and calculating the resulting current. The Thevenin resistance is then determined by dividing the test voltage by the resulting current, and the Thevenin voltage is calculated by using the voltage divider rule on the original circuit.

Why is Thevenin's theorem important?

Thevenin's theorem is important because it allows for simplification of complex circuits, making it easier to analyze and understand their behavior. It also allows for more efficient circuit design and troubleshooting.

What are the limitations of Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is only applicable to linear, active circuits and cannot be used for circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady state and does not take into account any transient effects.

Can Thevenin's theorem be applied to AC circuits?

Yes, Thevenin's theorem can be applied to both DC and AC circuits, as long as the circuit is linear and active. In AC circuits, the Thevenin equivalent circuit will consist of an AC voltage source and an AC resistance.