Why use arbitrary voltage source in Dependent Thevenin's

In summary, Thevenin's theorem states that Rth is the resistance of the circuit "seen" by an independent voltage source connected between the concerned points (here, a and b). If there is no independent source, everything becomes 0 and the circuit becomes meaningless. Dependent sources depend upon the quantities(voltage or current) which are generated by independent sources. So, Thevenin's resistance and Thevenin's voltage matter only when there is at least one independent source in the circuit.
yosimba2000
Normally, I would just assume that for a circuit with just a dependent source, I can treat it the same as as one with an independent source.

Using Picture 1
Assume that I want to find the Thevenin wrt nodes A and B.
I want to find Rth, so I zero out all sources, which makes I = 0A. The only resistance left is from resistor R.
I call R my Rth.

But this is wrong!

Using Picture 2
Apparently, I have to attach an arbitrary voltage source with voltage Vx, which drives an arbitrary current Ix.
Rth = Vx/Ix
So doing KCL on Node C, I get Ix + I = i (1)
I = 0.5i from the picture and plugging into (1)
Ix + 0.5i = i.
Ix = 0.5i (2)
Node C is at potential Vx.
i = Vx/R from the picture, then plugging into (2)
Ix = 0.5(Vx/R)
Rth = Vx/Ix
Rth = Vx / (0.5Vx/R)
Rth = 2R

As you can see, the Rth obtained from both methods is different (the second method is correct), but why, for circuits with only dependent sources, must we apply an arbitrary voltage source to find Rth? What's wrong with the first method?

If it's not clear, here is a video doing the same thing, but with arbitrary current source.

He states that this is the ONLY way to solve for Thevenin Equivalent when there are no independent sources. Why?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 427
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 420
Engineering news on Phys.org
yosimba2000 said:
but why, for circuits with only dependent sources, must we apply an arbitrary voltage source to find Rth? What's wrong with the first method?
According to Thevenin's theorem, Rth (Thevenin's resistance) is the resistance of the circuit "seen" by an independent voltage source(Vth) connected between the concerned points (here, a and b). If there is no independent source, everything becomes 0 and the circuit becomes meaningless. Dependent sources depend upon the quantities(voltage or current) which are generated by independent sources. So, Thevenin's resistance and Thevenin's voltage matter only when there is at least one independent source in the circuit.
yosimba2000 said:
Using Picture 1
Assume that I want to find the Thevenin wrt nodes A and B.
I want to find Rth, so I zero out all sources, which makes I = 0A. The only resistance left is from resistor R.
Since there is no current, why don't you call it an open circuit? Instead of saying only resistance is R, can you take it out and say it is an open circuit with infinite resistance? Or, since there is no current, there is 0 voltage across the resistor R. But does that make it a short circuit? No. Because there is no driving voltage, therefore no current. If there is an independent voltage source (or current source) present, then only it will "see" the resistance offered to it. So, there should be an independent source in the circuit. If there isn't, one is assumed and then Rth and Vth are calculated as "seen" by that source.

Last edited:

1. Why do we use an arbitrary voltage source in Dependent Thevenin's theorem?

The arbitrary voltage source is used in Dependent Thevenin's theorem to represent the effect of a dependent source in a circuit. Dependent sources, such as voltage-controlled voltage sources, can have varying voltage values based on the inputs or conditions in a circuit. By using an arbitrary voltage source, we can easily apply the dependent source's behavior in our analysis without having to make assumptions or complicated calculations.

2. Can we use a fixed voltage source instead of an arbitrary voltage source in Dependent Thevenin's theorem?

No, we cannot use a fixed voltage source instead of an arbitrary voltage source in Dependent Thevenin's theorem. This is because fixed voltage sources have a constant voltage value, while dependent sources can vary based on the circuit conditions. Using a fixed voltage source would not accurately represent the behavior of a dependent source and would result in incorrect analysis.

3. How do we determine the value of the arbitrary voltage source in Dependent Thevenin's theorem?

The value of the arbitrary voltage source in Dependent Thevenin's theorem is determined based on the behavior of the dependent source in the circuit. For example, if the dependent source is a voltage-controlled voltage source with a gain of 2, the value of the arbitrary voltage source would be 2 times the voltage of the controlling source.

4. Can Dependent Thevenin's theorem be used for AC circuits?

Yes, Dependent Thevenin's theorem can be used for AC circuits. The principle of Dependent Thevenin's theorem remains the same for both DC and AC circuits. However, the calculations may be more complex for AC circuits as they involve impedance and phasor analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using Dependent Thevenin's theorem?

Like any other theorem or method, Dependent Thevenin's theorem also has its limitations. It can only be applied to linear circuits, and the dependent source must be a linear element. Additionally, the theorem may become more complicated to apply in circuits with multiple dependent sources. In such cases, other methods like superposition or nodal analysis may be more suitable.