Differential Amplifier Common Mode Thevenin Equivalent

In summary, the conversation is about small signal analysis of a MOSFET differential amplifier. The speaker is using a text that includes two figures for a common-mode equivalent circuit, but there is confusion about the Norton equivalent circuit and the Thevenin equivalent resistance. The speaker realizes that the Thevenin equivalent resistance is actually dependent on the excitation voltage and realizes their mistake in forgetting to shut down the signal in the subcircuit.
anvoice
TL;DR Summary
A sanity check on a text I am using to learn EE. Cannot replicate the result for the common mode Thevenin resistance in a figure in the text.
I am currently reading about small signal analysis of a MOSFET differential amplifier. The text I am using has the below two figures for a common-mode equivalent circuit for the amplifier. The first makes sense to me except where it calls it a "Norton equivalent circuit", whereas I thought a Norton between either the vx or vy terminals would need to have a single resistance in parallel with a current source, and I don't see how this qualifies.
More importantly, the second figure has the Thevenin equivalent resistance as just RL. Seeing that exciting the subcircuits on the leftmost figure with a voltage and measuring the current seems to be a reasonable way of finding Rth in this case, I did that and ended up with a Rth of
2RL / (2 + (RL) x (vc)). Am I missing something major or is this a typo in the text? Granted it doesn't invalidate the main result (vx - vy = 0), it bothers me.

DiffAmp.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out. Looking at just this subcircuit, I forgot to shut down the signal vc (common-mode input) to the MOSFETs. If vc is off, naturally the dependent current source becomes an open circuit and the resistance is indeed RL. It is also a warning sign in this case that if you forget to shut down vc, the Thevenin equivalent resistance is actually dependent on the excitation voltage, which shouldn't be the case. The hints were there, but just managed to piece them together.

1. What is a differential amplifier?

A differential amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that amplifies the difference between two input signals while rejecting any common-mode signals. It is commonly used in analog circuits to amplify small signals and reject noise.

2. What is common mode voltage?

Common mode voltage is the voltage that is present on both input terminals of a differential amplifier. It is usually caused by noise or interference in the circuit and is rejected by the amplifier.

3. What is Thevenin equivalent circuit?

Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that consists of a single voltage source and a single resistor. It is used to analyze the behavior of a circuit at a specific point without having to consider the rest of the circuit.

4. How is Thevenin equivalent circuit used in differential amplifiers?

In differential amplifiers, Thevenin equivalent circuit is used to analyze the common-mode behavior of the amplifier. It helps to determine the common-mode gain and input resistance of the amplifier, which are important parameters for its performance.

5. What is the importance of common-mode rejection ratio (CMRR) in differential amplifiers?

CMRR is a measure of the differential amplifier's ability to reject common-mode signals. It is an important parameter as it determines the accuracy and precision of the amplifier's output. A higher CMRR indicates better rejection of common-mode signals, resulting in a more accurate output.