Need help understanding wording of simple geometric optics problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the placement of a concave and convex spherical mirror in relation to a positive thin lens and a point source in order to create a final real image at the point source. The specific locations and calculations are not given, and the radius of the spherical mirror is also unknown. The person asking for help understands the concepts but is struggling with fully comprehending the problem.
NutriGrainKiller
I understand the material this problem is based on very well, but I feel very sad when I read this problem because it makes very little sense to me. I'm hoping it's just me that's confused by it and not everyone else - because in that case I should be able to get help here.

Here is the problem:

A point source S sitting on the central axis of a positive thin lens is located (to the left) between one and two focal lengths from the lens. A concave spherical mirror is to be positioned to the right of the lens so that the final real image also lies at point S. Where should the mirror be placed? Where should a convex spherical mirror be located to accomplish the same feat?

grammar, spelling etc.. is verbatim. Again I don't so much need help doing this problem as I do understanding it. Any input at all is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
NutriGrainKiller said:
I understand the material this problem is based on very well, but I feel very sad when I read this problem because it makes very little sense to me. I'm hoping it's just me that's confused by it and not everyone else - because in that case I should be able to get help here.

Here is the problem:

grammar, spelling etc.. is verbatim. Again I don't so much need help doing this problem as I do understanding it. Any input at all is appreciated. Thanks!
Draw a positive thin lens (convex lens, converging lens) wih an axis through the center in the usual way. Mark the focal points on both sides of the lens, and points at two focal lengths. On the left side of the lens place a point source on the axis. Use the lens equation to locate the image of this object. Light coming through the lens would normally focus at this image point. You are going to use a mirror to reflect the light back through the lens in such a way as to focus the light at its point of origin. You know the mirror is spherical, but it does not tell you the radius of the sphere.

I understand how frustrating it can be to come across a problem that seems confusing or unclear. In this case, it seems like the wording of the problem is causing some confusion. I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller parts and clarifying any unfamiliar terms or concepts. For example, a point source is a single point of light, and a thin lens is a lens with a small thickness compared to its diameter. By understanding these terms, it may be easier to visualize the problem and come up with a solution.

Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a diagram or use a simulation to better understand the problem. This can help visualize the placement of the lens and mirror and how they interact to create an image at point S.

It's also important to keep in mind that it's completely normal to feel confused or unsure about a problem, even if you have a good understanding of the material. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek clarification from a teacher or peer. Science is a collaborative field, and seeking help is a valuable part of the learning process.

In conclusion, don't be discouraged by the wording of this problem. Take some time to break it down and seek clarification, and I'm sure you'll be able to understand and solve it successfully. Good luck!

1. What is a simple geometric optics problem?

A simple geometric optics problem refers to a problem that involves the use of basic geometric principles to understand the behavior of light as it travels through different media, such as lenses or mirrors.

2. How can I understand the wording of a simple geometric optics problem?

To understand the wording of a simple geometric optics problem, it is important to break down the problem into smaller parts and identify the key concepts and variables involved. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem.

3. What are some common terms used in simple geometric optics problems?

Some common terms used in simple geometric optics problems include focal length, object distance, image distance, magnification, and refraction index.

4. What are some tips for solving a simple geometric optics problem?

Some tips for solving a simple geometric optics problem include understanding the properties of light, using the correct equations and formulas, and practicing with similar problems to develop problem-solving skills.

5. Can I use real-life examples to better understand simple geometric optics problems?

Yes, using real-life examples can help in understanding simple geometric optics problems. For example, you can think about how light behaves when passing through a magnifying glass or a pair of eyeglasses.