Need help with 3d plotting Vector Field.

In summary, I am in need of a graphical application that can plot particles in 3d. I need to plot their space coordinate, but am clueless on how to plot the associated velocity vector. I have used similar things in 2d with xmgrace, butgnuplot is not good at all for 3d plotting. Any help would be highly appreciated.
anupamsps
I am in real need for a graphical application with 3d plotting capabilities.
I need to plot some particles given their space coordinate. This has been well managed using VMD. But i am clueless how to plot associated velocity vector with particles. So basicall i am looking for to plot velocity field.
I have already done similar things in 2d with xmgrace. such nice apps. but gnuplot is not good at all for 3d plotting specially the field.

My data sets are: for position plot in 3d (x, y, z)
for velocity fields in 3d (x, y, z, vx, vy, vz)
(it will look like some arrows in space)

Any help will be highly sppreciated and i am sad to say that i need suggestion urgently as my report submission date is very close.

regards.

Technology news on Phys.org
If you are on a linux box, you can use Plot3d which is available through the NASA Advanced Supercomputing Division (NAS) website: https://www.nas.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/software/start

You will have to apparently request it though.

If you do use it, note that it was originally developed for CFD. As such, it requires a flow file which contains 5 vectors (mass, x/y/z momentum, and energy). In order to get velocity vectors, you would need to write your velocity components as x/y/z momentum, and then make sure that density is 1.0 for all points. Energy can then be zero. The call to get the vector would then be
re/for/mgr/3d !--read a formatted multiblock 3d file
grid.file
results.file

fun 200 !--velcocity vector function
vec/sca=153 !--scale the velocity vector by velocity magnitude
[lots of options here]
pl !--plot

edit: You can also try FAST available at the same location, which isn't quite as tailored to CFD. I haven't really used it though, so I can't offer any advice.

Thanks, i'll definitely try ur suggestion. But any other easily available apps. Sending mail seems to me wired :(

That's all I got. You don't mean snail mail do you? It seemed to me that all you needed was to essentially register with the site.

http://vpython.org might be helpful.
There's also http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/gallery/3D%20graphs/

try Maple

1. How do I plot a 3D vector field?

To plot a 3D vector field, you will need to use a specialized software or programming language that supports 3D plotting, such as MATLAB or Python. You will need to define the vector field by specifying its components or equations, and then use the appropriate function or command to plot it in 3D.

2. What are the key components of a vector field?

A vector field is made up of two key components: a position vector and a vector function. The position vector determines the location of the vector at a given point, while the vector function determines the direction and magnitude of the vector at that point.

3. How do I interpret a 3D vector field plot?

In a 3D vector field plot, the vectors are represented by arrows, with the length and direction of the arrows indicating the magnitude and direction of the vector at that point. The vectors can also be color-coded to represent different values or properties of the vector field.

4. Can I plot a 3D vector field with non-uniform data?

Yes, it is possible to plot a 3D vector field with non-uniform data. This can be done by interpolating the data points to create a smooth vector field, or by using specialized techniques such as streamlines or stream surfaces to visualize the data.

5. Are there any limitations to plotting 3D vector fields?

One limitation of plotting 3D vector fields is that it can be difficult to accurately represent the vectors in a 2D medium, such as a computer screen or a printed image. Additionally, the complexity and size of the vector field may also affect the accuracy and clarity of the plot.