Need help with a derivative solution

• I
  • Thread starter Dyatlov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, when substituting x = au, to show that d F(x)/dx = (1/a) (dF/du), you need to take the derivatives of both sides and consider what is constant and what is not. Furthermore, note that dx = a * du.
Dyatlov
Hello.
We have the derivative of a function: d F(x)/dx. If we substitute x = au, how can I show that d F(x)/dx = (1/a) (dF/du) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dyatlov said:
Hello.
We have the derivative of a function: d F(x)/dx. If we substitute x = au, how can I show that d F(x)/dx = (1/a) (dF/du) ?

When you do a substitution, you take the derivatives of both sides (hint: take into account what is constant and what is not). If you do this, you'll immediately come to what you need to show.

Thanks for the answer, did it and got:
(dF/da) (dF/du) = (dF/da) u + (dF/du) a = (dF/du) a, since a is a constant. What am I missing here?

Dyatlov said:
Thanks for the answer, did it and got:
(dF/da) (dF/du) = (dF/da) u + (dF/du) a = (dF/du) a, since a is a constant. What am I missing here?

As I previously said, note that ##dx = a\cdot du##.

Likes Dyatlov
Thanks, got it now.

Likes QuantumQuest

FAQ: Need help with a derivative solution

1. What is a derivative solution?

A derivative solution is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. Why do I need help with a derivative solution?

Derivative solutions can be complex and require a strong understanding of calculus. Additionally, they are commonly used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering, so it is important to have a thorough understanding of them.

3. How do I find a derivative solution?

To find a derivative solution, you must first determine the derivative of the function in question. This can be done using various methods such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. Once the derivative is found, plug in the desired point to find the specific derivative solution.

4. Can I use a calculator to find a derivative solution?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs that can quickly and accurately find derivative solutions for you. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of the concept and be able to solve it by hand as well.

5. How can I apply derivative solutions in real life?

Derivative solutions have many real-world applications, such as determining the velocity of an object, finding the maximum profit for a business, or calculating the rate of change in a chemical reaction. They are also used in optimization problems to find the best possible solution to a given problem.

Back