Need help with choosing the right load cell?

In summary, choosing a load cell for a tensile tester should consider the range of forces that will be tested, the type of load cell, the installation configuration, and the reputation of the manufacturer.
christyu
Hey guys, my group is building a tensile tester for testing 3d printed parts as specimen(standard ASTM D638). We're trying to use cheap parts to build the machine and I would like to ask you guys something about load cell. When choosing which load cells to buy, what conditions should I consider before choosing one when it's used specifically for building a tensile test machine?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Load range .

Basic operating principle .
Analog/digital output .

Installation configuration .

Reputable manufacturer .
Technical support .

Load cells 01
Load cells 02

Please post a sketch of general layout of testing machine and provide basic some information about components to be tested

Nidum said:
Please post a sketch of general layout of testing machine and provide basic some information about components to be tested
Thank you for the response.

We're pretty much just using standard vertical axis tensile tester set up with load cell installed top and bottom (framework using aluminum extrusion using nuts and bolts). We'll be using standard ASTM D638 miniature specimen to test the tension. we'll be using different types of these specimen with max required tensile force of 731.77 lb and minimum 102.3 lb

I'm kind of confused about the shapes. So there are specific load cells for tension/compression or beam with shape being different specifically?

Read everything on this site :

http://www.loadcells.com/Load-Cells/Load-Cells.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you trying to obtain the complete load / extension characteristic of the specimen or just the final load when it breaks ?

You may have problems making your machine frame strong enough if you just use bolted together Aluminium sections .

An actual load cell is not always needed . For example in a hydraulic system you can find the load by monitoring the pressure .

Load cells are relatively easy to make - especially for undemanding applications .

Last edited:
Nidum said:
Are you trying to obtain the complete load / extension characteristic of the specimen or just the final load when it breaks ?

You may have problems making your machine frame strong enough if you just use bolted together Aluminium sections .

as in the frame won't withstand the weight of load cell?

Frame carries the same magnitude load as the specimen under test .

Tensile load on specimen equals compressive load on frame .

What is a load cell and how does it work?

A load cell is a transducer that converts force or weight into an electrical signal. It works by using strain gauges, which are thin, flexible wires or foils that change resistance when stretched or compressed. When an object is placed on a load cell, it causes the strain gauges to stretch or compress, which changes the electrical resistance and produces a signal that can be measured and converted into a weight reading.

What are the different types of load cells?

There are several types of load cells, including strain gauge, hydraulic, pneumatic, and capacitive load cells. Strain gauge load cells are the most common and use strain gauges to measure the deformation of a solid object. Hydraulic and pneumatic load cells use fluid pressure to measure force, while capacitive load cells use changes in capacitance to measure force.

How do I choose the right load cell for my application?

Choosing the right load cell depends on several factors, including the maximum weight or force that needs to be measured, the environment in which it will be used, and the required accuracy and precision. It is important to consider the load cell's capacity, construction material, and calibration requirements when selecting the right one for your application.

What is the difference between analog and digital load cells?

Analog load cells produce a continuous electrical signal that varies in proportion to the weight or force being measured. Digital load cells, on the other hand, convert the electrical signal into a digital output, which can be displayed on a digital scale or read by a computer. Digital load cells offer greater accuracy and precision, but analog load cells are typically less expensive.

How do I maintain and calibrate my load cell?

Maintaining and calibrating your load cell is important to ensure accurate and reliable measurements. It is recommended to regularly clean the load cell and check for any damage or wear. Calibration should be performed according to the manufacturer's instructions and may require specialized equipment. It is important to follow proper procedures and keep records of calibration to ensure the accuracy of your load cell.