Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with choosing the right load cell?

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    Hey guys, my group is building a tensile tester for testing 3d printed parts as specimen(standard ASTM D638). We're trying to use cheap parts to build the machine and I would like to ask you guys something about load cell. When choosing which load cells to buy, what conditions should I consider before choosing one when it's used specifically for building a tensile test machine?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Load range .

Basic operating principle .
    Analog/digital output .

Installation configuration .

Reputable manufacturer .
    Technical support .

Load cells 01
    Load cells 02

4. Mar 9, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please post a sketch of general layout of testing machine and provide basic some information about components to be tested

5. Mar 9, 2016 #4
    Thank you for the response.

We're pretty much just using standard vertical axis tensile tester set up with load cell installed top and bottom (framework using aluminum extrusion using nuts and bolts). We'll be using standard ASTM D638 miniature specimen to test the tension. we'll be using different types of these specimen with max required tensile force of 731.77 lb and minimum 102.3 lb

I'm kind of confused about the shapes. So there are specific load cells for tension/compression or beam with shape being different specifically?

6. Mar 10, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Read everything on this site :

http://www.loadcells.com/Load-Cells/Load-Cells.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. Mar 10, 2016 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you trying to obtain the complete load / extension characteristic of the specimen or just the final load when it breaks ?

You may have problems making your machine frame strong enough if you just use bolted together Aluminium sections .

An actual load cell is not always needed . For example in a hydraulic system you can find the load by monitoring the pressure .

Load cells are relatively easy to make - especially for undemanding applications .

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  8. Mar 10, 2016 #7
    as in the frame won't withstand the weight of load cell?

9. Mar 10, 2016 #8

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Frame carries the same magnitude load as the specimen under test .

Tensile load on specimen equals compressive load on frame .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted