Question on lvd, and load cell output

In summary: For channels, you need to think about how many sensors you need and how much data they will generate per second. Simulink might be a good starting point, but you will need to know more about electrical signals and how to interface to your computer. In summary, you may need to measure force and velocity, and interface it to a DAQ system in order to get a graph of damping coefficient.
jddj
Hello, I graduated last year for mechanical engineering and have a project that i am working on at home that i need some help on with the electrical part. what i am trying to build is a shock dyno, i need to measure force and velocity, i plan on using a lvt and a load cell unless someone has a better idea. my problem is i am not quite sure how to hook these components up to output to my computer. i am guessing i will need a DAQ module and maybe some other devices for signal conditioning. I have Simulink on my computer which i think i can output to? i do not have too much electrical knowledge and was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you speak a little more of your stimulus and the nature of the object and motion you are measuring.
F = ma or F=mv/t
When I think of shock measurement I first tend to think of the acceleration of a known mass to determine the force. But, that's just me. Or you can measure the force and acceleration to determine the mass.

Anyway. a little more information will help focus.

As for the interface, that also depends on the magnitude of the measurements you are making (which determines the available transducers) and the sample rates, number of channels, and accuracy you require.

EDIT --- is this what you mean? http://www.shockdyno.com/ or http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets20.html

thanks for the reply, my goal is to get a graph of velocity vs. force and from this i will be able to get the damping coefficient of the shock. I figured if i could measure these directly it would be the easiest. i have not decided yet if the shock dyno will be driven by a motor or manually, i have seen them done both ways on the internet. the one in your link is basically what i am aiming for but it looks like it is powered by a cylinder. i would like it to measure around up to 1000 lbs of force and around 10 inches per second for velocity. i guess i don't know enough about circuits or electroincs to know what i need for channels or sample rates.

Thanks for the help

I think you need to measure position also. (BTW did you notice there were two links)

Actually you are talking about a pretty ambitious sensor signal conditioning and data acquisition system.

You can get familiar with DAQ systems at National Instruments. Sketch out what it would take with their equipment.

For sample rate you need to think of how fast things are moving and how many data points you need.

for reaching out with your question! It sounds like you have a interesting project in mind. I can offer some advice on how to approach the electrical aspect of your shock dyno. First, let's clarify some terminology - LVD stands for low voltage differential, and is often used in reference to power supplies or data transmission. I'm assuming you meant LVT, which stands for linear variable transducer, commonly used for measuring displacement or position. As for the load cell, it is a type of transducer that converts force into an electrical signal. Both of these components can be useful for your shock dyno, but it's important to understand their capabilities and limitations.

To connect these components to your computer, you will indeed need a data acquisition (DAQ) module. This device will allow you to collect and process the signals from your LVT and load cell. You may also need some additional signal conditioning devices, depending on the specific requirements of your components and the type of data you want to collect.

If you have access to Simulink, that could be a useful tool for processing and analyzing your data. However, you will still need to configure the DAQ module and signal conditioning devices to properly interface with your computer and software.

Since you mentioned not having much electrical knowledge, I would recommend consulting with an electrical engineer or seeking out some resources on signal conditioning and data acquisition. There are also many helpful online forums and communities where you can ask for advice and guidance from experienced individuals.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the components you need for your shock dyno, and with some additional research and support, you should be able to successfully connect and collect data from them. Good luck with your project!

1. What is LVD in relation to load cells?

LVD stands for low voltage differential, and it is a type of electrical signal used by load cells to transmit weight measurements. LVD allows for a more accurate and stable signal compared to traditional analog signals.

2. How does LVD affect the accuracy of load cell output?

Since LVD signals are less prone to interference and noise, they can improve the accuracy of load cell output. This is especially true for high-precision applications where even small fluctuations in signal can affect the weight measurement.

3. Can LVD be used with any type of load cell?

LVD can be used with most types of load cells, including strain gauge and piezoelectric load cells. However, it is important to check the specifications of the load cell to ensure it is compatible with LVD signals.

4. What are the advantages of using LVD in load cells?

Aside from improved accuracy, LVD also allows for longer cable lengths and easier signal transmission over longer distances. It also reduces the need for additional signal conditioning equipment, resulting in cost savings.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using LVD with load cells?

One potential drawback is that LVD signals require more power compared to analog signals, so it may not be suitable for low-power applications. Additionally, LVD may be more complex and require more specialized equipment, which can add to the overall cost.